• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to beirut

I will be moving to Beirut in 2 months from the uk, what food items should I bring with me ( either ones that are cheaper over in Europe or ones that I will struggle to find in the Lebanon) also are there any things I could bring as presents that will be particular sought after/ well received. Thanks!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I'm jealous. I was there about 10 years ago, before the last, err visit, from a neighboring airforce, and the place is fantastic. Some huge French style (owned?) hypermarkets in the north of the city. Really no trouble getting anything I can remember. And the Chateau Mussar is ridiculously cheap compared to what it costs in the UK. Not helpful for presents, sorry.

I'm jealous too.

I found food to be much cheaper (compared to U.S.). The best cut of beef runs about $4/kilo (lamb $8/kilo). 50 cents will buy you a kilo of lemons. A case (24pk)of beer about $14, and $12 for a carton of imported cigarettes. Street food is very cheap, the best Shawarma sandwich and a soda will set you back $1.50 US.

You'll find small grocery stores, butchers and bakeries on every street corner. For western style one-stop shopping there is 'Spinneys' in Ashrafieh (East Beirut) and few other location.

I couldn't find any Horseradish, prepared or otherwise. If you like to make cocktail sauce, bring some.

Have a great time.