• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ikura/Uni

does anyone know where to purchase cured/uncured ikura in Vancouver? I dont really mind if they are in their egg sacs or preped already. i was also wondering if anyone know where to purchase good quality uni.

Angel Seafoods often has live uni in the back. Also, in Steveston, one boat specializes in uni. It is called Kuroshio. I don't know if he is still selling over the winter but you can call him at (250) 812-1252

Cured ikura - also at Angel. You can get small amounts at Fujiya. I haven't seen uncured ikura retail in quite some time. (Many years ago, my father used to buy buckets of egg sacs from fishermen in Steveston for peanuts. This was before they started shipping it to Japan, of course).

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

• 1 month later...

Sung fish co. While they don't have a retail desk, if you call first and ask for Mrs Park you can buy uni when they are processing. They do not process every day. You can get trays of top export quality, trays of second quality, or, if you *really* like uni (like me), a box of bulk seconds (broken pieces, about a kilo!! for $25). That makes a lot of uni cones. You could probably also buy some live ones from them if you are willing to get 10 kg or so.

Second on the Kuroshio. One other boat is there very regularly, even in winter; but I think he is selling urchins from a processor so they don't seem quite as fresh as the Kuroshio (spines all broken off). I usually call the Kuroshio to see when he will be there.

Ikura is fairly often available from Steveston as well, depending on season. They had chum ikura there a month or so ago.

Edited by Jcolvin (log)

• 1 month later...