• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teach me about Haiti..........

In searching the net, it seems there just isn't much information on Haiti food culture and traditions. I am absolutely clueless and a little ashamed of it. My DH will be going to Haiti in the next week or so and is likely to be there for a very long time, perhaps a year or more. I am curious about everything, but being an e-gulleter, I am most interested in learning about the food. I realize that at this moment, there isn't much to go around, but thankfully due to the generosity of human beings, that is being taken care of. Bless all that are helping! That said, does anyone have any firsthand knowledge or even secondhand that they are willing to share and educate me?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Never been to Haiti, but secondhand from some Haitians here in the BVI and my trusty Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz, a few Haitian dishes are:

1. Chiquetaille de morue - as in all the islands, saltfish is a staple and this is a saltfish salad

2. Marinades - simple fritters that can be either sweet or savory

3. Picklises - pickled vegetables

4. Griots de porc - pork cubes which have been braised then fried

5. Poulet a la creole - chicken creole

6. Poulet farci - stuffed roast chicken

7. Fried plantains - all the islands have fried plantains

8. Pois et riz - rice and peas (another Caribbean staple)

9. Riz au djon-djon - a Haitian specialty of rice with local black mushrooms (always wanted to try this one)

10. Sauce ti-malice - should probably have put this first, this is the Haitian version of hot pepper sauce

11. Gateau de papate - sweet potato cake

12. Figues bananes fourrees - stuffed bananas

13. Pain de patates douces - sweet potato bread

I don't imagine your DH will run into many (if any) of these dishes now of course...

Abigail Blake

Sugar Apple: Posts from the Caribbean

http://www.abigailblake.com/sugarapple

"Sometimes spaghetti likes to be alone." Big Night

I clicked on this thread because I think it would be interesting to know something about the topic and, as you might guess, I know very little. Sorry I can't give an actual answer to your question. However, I am wondering how the history of the region might clue us in to the food culture. I am also embarrasingly ignorant of that, but I believe that there is/was a strong French influence in Haiti. I also wonder what role Haiti might have played in the slave trade and/or slave uprisings that led to pockets of freed people of color. Wouldn't all of these potentially speak to the food culture? Is there a tradition of voodoo in Haiti? If so, are their food traditions related to that spiritual practice?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions. I do think it is interesting, though.

From what I have gleened, the religion is a strange mix of Catholic and Voodoo. I too, find this intriguing, and want to learn so much more. As I understand so far, the island is primarily made up of the french slave trade Africans, but I could have been misinformed. There is so little information on the actual culture of Haiti. I seems that the food culture, from the above post, is very similar to puerto Rican cuisine. (yes, he spent a bit of time there a couple of years ago) It also sounds reminiciant of creole, to me a bit. I realy apreciate the input and bits of information that you have both given, thank you. I hope to learn more................

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

If you go to Quebec you'll find some amazing Haitian restaurants in Montreal. I've been to a lovely one on Rue St-Denis last year -- don't remember the name. The community there is proud and extroverted and loves to share the culture, food, music, history, etc.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack