• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Cherry Fondant Center

rena

Would you be willing to share your formulas?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

No I don't mind sharing although the recipe I use is from Peter Grewellings book. His fondant recipe. It's pretty simple.

35oz sugar

7oz water

7oz corn syrup

I heat it to 243F and then I let it cool in the pot. I don't have a marble slab. I cool it to 120F and then I start to agitate it in the pot. It takes about 10 minutes to get it to the white pasty stage. Then I put it in an airtight container and let it ripe overnight. The next day I divide it up into 4 portions. I put one portion in at a time in a double boiler and just heat it enough to where it's back to a glossy look. I don't go above 150F. Then I add my flavor componets. This year I've been using Amoretti Fruit Compound. I use about 1Tblspn + 1 tespn and each flavor and it's a good mix. The flavors are very exact. I even used a concord grape compound which was quite interesting. But the Blackherry it my fave at the moment. You do have to be careful on the amounts you use because the compounds are quite strong and can overpower. It's a hit and miss until you get it right....

Rena

It depends on you. If you want to use fresh ingredients like lemon juice or any citrus juice then you can. I use Cream de Menth extract for my mint flavor fondant. I order from Amoretti for the compounds. They are very generous with giving free samples when you order from them.

Rena

IMG_0083.JPG

Edited by rena (log)

Has anyone flavored fondant with fruit purees for this type of piece? I'm curious as to how much puree to 1 kg of fondant you might use.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Hi Steve,

I don't know if this will help but on my jar of fruit compound it says 'Use Level- 3% to 5% by weight'. I'm not good with numbers so I have no idea what that means.....

Rena

I tried making fondant using fruit puree as the liquid, but got too much inversion. Now I use fruit puree, fondant, butter and white chocolate and make a buttercream center. I would think a combination of puree, compound and maybe some freeze dried fruit powder might give you a nice cream center. I think I did some experiments in strawberry at one point, but I don't seem to have written them down.

I tried making fondant using fruit puree as the liquid, but got too much inversion. Now I use fruit puree, fondant, butter and white chocolate and make a buttercream center. I would think a combination of puree, compound and maybe some freeze dried fruit powder might give you a nice cream center. I think I did some experiments in strawberry at one point, but I don't seem to have written them down.

Kerry, where can you buy freeze dried fruit powders in Canada? A western canada source would be even better :).

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Kerry, where can you buy freeze dried fruit powders in Canada? A western canada source would be even better :).

Metropolitan tea sells the fruit - you have to powder it yourself. But I have a lovely big bag of raspberry powder - thanks to Lebowitz - that he brought to me from Albert Uster. I've been working my way through some samples I got at the PMCA (gotta buy pallet loads - so samples is all I'll ever have). Whole foods carries some freeze dried stuff as well - a little pricey though.

Metropolitan tea sells the fruit - you have to powder it yourself. But I have a lovely big bag of raspberry powder - thanks to Lebowitz - that he brought to me from Albert Uster. I've been working my way through some samples I got at the PMCA (gotta buy pallet loads - so samples is all I'll ever have). Whole foods carries some freeze dried stuff as well - a little pricey though.

Actually, the raspberry powder was from L'Epicerie. They have a nice selection of freeze dried fruit powders in small quantities.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Do you have a sample formula you would be willing to post? What's the shelf life of this type of center?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Do you have a sample formula you would be willing to post? What's the shelf life of this type of center?

Do you mean the buttercream?

yes

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

yes

Here's one - Strawberry Rhubarb

160 grams stewed rhubarb

15 grams strawberry powder (freeze dried)

6 grams shredded strawberries pieces (freeze dried)

1/8 tsp citric acid

1 teaspoon strawberry compound

150 grams fondant

275 grams white chocolate (melted at about 28 to 30C)

25 grams butter

2 teaspoons vodka or strawberry schnapps

Add dried fruit to rhubarb. Mix fondant and butter in food processor. Pour melted chocolate through feed tube. Add fruit, compound, citric acid and booze.