• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-Prohibition bartender garb

Penwu

I would like to put together an vintage style bartender outfit for use working private parties and the like. Does anyone know of some good sources for pictures of what quality bartenders of the time (either 19-teens or 1930s) tended to wear? Good reference books, or web sites, or movies with historically accurate costuming?

Edited by Penwu (log)

What are you looking for? Arm garters? Spats? Moustache wax?? You need to be a bit more specific, but I'd always suggest looking on eBay first.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have a professional costume maker in the family, so I'm looking for information rather than finished products. Primarily pictures of what was actually worn at the time, which I expect would be basically shirt, trousers, and vest. The question is, what type of shirts/vests/etc.