• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "The Babbo Cookbook"

Stephanie Brim

Yesterday I got a pound of ultra-fresh local shrimp. For some reason they were missing their heads already (which may very well be the best part...). Anyway, looking for a nice dish for them I found the Shrimp in Crazy Water in Holiday Food (the recipe is also available online here). I happened to have received a fennel bulb and some garlic in my CSA, so it all came together nicely. The aromatic base is diced onion & fennel + sliced garlic and hot chiles (I used dry chile de arbol). They are lightly browned in olive oil, and then a can of tomatoes is added with a generous amount of white wine and some salted water. The broth is simmered for about 10 minutes, then the shrimp are added. This is a very quick dish (less than 30 minutes total) with a ton of flavor. I used a Pouilly Fuisse for the broth. Fennel fronds are used as a garnish with fresh cracked pepper.

8641256617_f6b225be32_z.jpg

• 3 years later...

I started curing guanciale with a couple of pork jowls (about one pound each) that I butchered myself (at a butchery class). I haven't made guanciale in a long while because it's quite difficult to find jowl. This was an acorn-fed heritage breed from Julian's Cook pigs ranch.

Salt, sugar, black peppercorns, fresh thyme from the patio.

Pork jowls

Curing pork jowl for guanciale

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 6

I have two jowls that I treated using this recipe hanging in my garage, working on week two!  Such a coincidencexD

i had to order them from my butter.  They make smoked jewels which are good but not the same.

i call jowls fat streaked with meat! Ha, ha

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

They were getting quite dry so after two weeks in the garage I brought them in.  Forgot to weigh them before I took the skin off so not sure if they reached the 30% weight loss target.  Darn tasty.

DSC01749.jpgDSC01750.jpg

That is beautiful guanciale! I love it. How else did you prepare it?

I love it with peas, tomatoes and goat cheese gnocchi in a quick marjoram and butter sauce.

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

I have only fried up those four pieces to try it as I was wrapping it for freezer storage.  I use it mainly with pasta as in carbonara and I will be making a pasta sauce with winter squash containing guanciale later today.  Your sauce sounds good too.