• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee or Not?

Tom Gengo

I am catering a wedding 6.26.2010, outside mid-day in Moncks Corner, SC at the Old Santee Canal Park (near Charleston.) The bride's mom discussed coffee, which I quickly discouraged. However, subsequently I have had several people tell me that some of the guests may want coffee with their cake. My thoughts are 1. that it is more work 2. it will be hot as HE double hockey sticks and 3. It is more work (purposely redundant.) Y'all please share your thoughts on this matter.

Item #2, if I were to do coffee, what artficial sweeteners would you recommend? Just curious what the concesus is on this matter since I drink mine unadulterated black :D

Tom Gengo

In much of the south, it's traditional to offer coffee with dessert. And it's never too hot to drink coffee. Dunno if the event is seated or buffet, but it should be easy enough to set up a coffee bar, or to have servers offer coffee with dessert/when the cake is served. I'm with Mom. Besides, she's the client: if she wants coffee, you tell her how much it will cost to serve coffee...if it is more work, then charge more money. Seems simple enough.

RE: arti sweeteners...make sure you have pink, blue, and yellow (Sweet-n-Low, Equal, and Splenda). It is NOT a huge expense, and the point is to be hospitable, isn't it? If the event is extremely formal, you can get the sweeteners packaged as "cafe sticks", which are a bit more classy than the standard paper packets. Here's a link to the Splenda cafe sticks....I know all three come in cafe sticks, as I see them at events and in restaurants.

Edited by HungryC (log)

In much of the south, it's traditional to offer coffee with dessert. And it's never too hot to drink coffee. Dunno if the event is seated or buffet, but it should be easy enough to set up a coffee bar, or to have servers offer coffee with dessert/when the cake is served. I'm with Mom. Besides, she's the client: if she wants coffee, you tell her how much it will cost to serve coffee...if it is more work, then charge more money. Seems simple enough.

RE: arti sweeteners...make sure you have pink, blue, and yellow (Sweet-n-Low, Equal, and Splenda). It is NOT a huge expense, and the point is to be hospitable, isn't it? If the event is extremely formal, you can get the sweeteners packaged as "cafe sticks", which are a bit more classy than the standard paper packets. Here's a link to the Splenda cafe sticks....I know all three come in cafe sticks, as I see them at events and in restaurants.

Thanks Hungry C. I left out part of what I needed to say, got distracted. I want the customer to be totally satisfied. Since it is a brunch buffet, she just instinctively asked for coffee. AS you have pointed out, I want the customer completely satisfied which is the reason for the thread. I am very likely going to do coffee as I like a cup w/ my sweets, but just getting a sense for what others think. I was just kidding around about the work, it is not much more for me to brew a pot.

Especially thank you for the comment about the sweetener sticks. Haven't observed them since I do not use them. Guess I need to be more aware of my surroundings.

Tom Gengo

If it's a brunch, definitely serve coffee. And don't forget real sugar; some people still use it. Also, a small insulated pitcher is your best bet for keeping cream/milk cold.

Definitely go w/ coffee--especially at a brunch. If an older crowd many are going to drink coffee period and if there is a bar at all then some are going to want coffee before they leave. And, as said, some will want coffee w/ cake.

When at the restaurant I would do a coffee bar w/ samovars of regular and decaffeinated, whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, rock candy sticks (as Celeste mentioned you can get them in artificial sweeteners now) as well as some flavored syrups--or instead of flavored syrups you can flavor whipped cream (just label to avoid any confusion). We made an ice block w/ holes sized for the cream bowls to keep it chilled.

Coffee bars are a big hit and can actually add to your profit margin.

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.