• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood Towers in NOLA restaurants

LoveToEatATL

If you find somewhere, I'd suggest calling ahead and confirming that there are some oysters other than the ubiquitous Gulf oysters available. Gulf oysters are delicious cooked, but taste more than a bit like mud when they're raw. With all due respects to NOLA and the cuisine there, I was sorely disappointed in the raw oysters. Wouldn't you rather enjoy some of the other cuisine that they're famous for and maybe have that seafood tower somewhere up north (on either coast) where there's colder waters and more selection? I'm clearly spoiled from working at an oyster bar, but last time I ordered the raw oysters at Acme was the last time I'll order raw oysters at Acme. Maybe some of the more upscale places have a better selection? I certainly didn't see the sort of variety I'm accustomed to seeing here in the Northeast, even at some of the other places around town. Seemed the answer to "what kind of oysters do you have today?" was always the same. "Gulf." I think Bourbon House had a few different kinds IIRC.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi Katie, we plan on making many reservations while we are there (Bayona, Stella, August....to name a few), but wanted the seafood tower as well. We are not strangers to NOLA, but thought someone might have a suggestion.

Anyone?

Edited by LoveToEatATL (log)

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Of course our local restaurants serve Gulf oysters....umm, eat locally and all that? John Besh's restaurant Luke has plateaux des fruites de mer, with your choice of oysters, mussels, littleneck clams, shrimp, ceviche, etc. Here's Luke's starters menu with details.

If you must have non-Gulf coast oysters, try GW Fins, which is one of the only places in town to offer non-indigenous oysters.

Of course our local restaurants serve Gulf oysters....umm, eat locally and all that? John Besh's restaurant Luke has plateaux des fruites de mer, with your choice of oysters, mussels, littleneck clams, shrimp, ceviche, etc. Here's Luke's starters menu with details.

If you must have non-Gulf coast oysters, try GW Fins, which is one of the only places in town to offer non-indigenous oysters.

Thank you HungryC!! Luke's was exactly what I was looking for. Making reservations now.

Edited by LoveToEatATL (log)

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Thank you HungryC!! Luke's was exactly what I was looking for. Making reservations now.

Iris also has non-Gulf oysters, although I don't know why you'd come here to eat oysters from Washington.