• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend trip from Paris

Christopher Haatuft

Just arrived here at the hotel and its very nice. Booked a table at the restaurant and the menu looks promising. Tomorrow, we'll see the D-Day beaches and wichever other sites that is recommended. Nice to smell the horse shit of the country-side after 4 months of dog shit in Paris :)

Well he didn't when we ate there in August - the menu had a definite Japanese influence.

He does as a rule. Maybe not this particular time (I did not go last year), but every time I went there, several courses were clearly based on local products and preparations. Besides, it would be pointless to claim that the Catalan touch is absent from Adria's cooking. While it is blatant that Sa.qua.na lacks the slightest hint to its geographical location. Except perhaps a remarkable calvados I happened to spot on a table on the way out (and took the time to smell), but that really felt like a concession.

I think it is best to agree to disagree.

I go to great restaurants because they are great; some are regional, some are not. I go to regional restaurants because they are regional; some are great some are not.

Sa.Qua.Na is clearly not regional, but that shouldn't stop anyone heading there as it has a strong, and growing reputation.

Well he didn't when we ate there in August - the menu had a definite Japanese influence.

He does as a rule. Maybe not this particular time (I did not go last year), but every time I went there, several courses were clearly based on local products and preparations. Besides, it would be pointless to claim that the Catalan touch is absent from Adria's cooking. While it is blatant that Sa.qua.na lacks the slightest hint to its geographical location. Except perhaps a remarkable calvados I happened to spot on a table on the way out (and took the time to smell), but that really felt like a concession.

I think it is best to agree to disagree.

I go to great restaurants because they are great; some are regional, some are not. I go to regional restaurants because they are regional; some are great some are not.

Sa.Qua.Na is clearly not regional, but that shouldn't stop anyone heading there as it has a strong, and growing reputation.

Of course it shouldn't. It all depends on what you are looking for.

The problem with Sa.qua.na is not that it's not "regional" but that it is totally a-local, as if not being able to tell where you are when you're dining there were an intentional feature. It is a choice to run that kind of restaurant but it is also a choice to go there or not.

I was in fact not arguing with you but merely responding to the possible wish that the initial poster may have to get to know a region of France. In that case, well, Sa.qua.na would not be first on the list. It would perhaps be if what one sought were plainly "fine dining that tries a bit too hard". That judgement of mine is borne from my personal opinion that Sa.qua.na in itself is not good enough to be a destination restaurant. Others, needless to say, may differ.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

We had dinner at the Chateau Sully last night and had a great time. The food was not very memorable, but good ingredients and lots of care went into the plates. Maybe a bit more focused flavours, and it would have been better. Tonight, we'll try to find local, simpler fare. But first, the D-Day beaches and the American cemitary.

This bodes well for our next excursion, as we found the place wonderful. We spent a day going to the WW2 beaches and thought it was a different, but just as valid sight seeing of France as vineyards and restaurants. Though, as I originally asked for dining and wine, I agree it wasnt the obvious choice ;)

The next trip will be one of the following places that has been recommended in this thread;

Baune

Jura

Champagne

Alsace