• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

shipping chocolates

Lior

I often get requests for my chocolates from Europe and even a few from the U.S. Lately I have a request for a nice ongoing bulk order to Europe- to a tea house. I have no idea how to even begin the logistics. Does anyone do this? Is anyone willing to offer tips, refer me to places,or make suggestions?

I can imagine you would have two fundamental problems. First, packaging the products so that they arrive both intact and unmelted from whatever temps they encounter along the way. From what I've seen, this can be solved by the appropriate application of money.

The second, and likely more frustrating problem would be to understand the issues with shipping internationally with regards to the customs regulations when it comes to "food". I've heard horror stories of shipments being held up for long periods when arriving in the destination country. Your best bet here would be to enlist the help of your potential customer to research the cutoms regulations documentation requirements.

Best of luck!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Ah, Customs! The horror!

I have had a few customers purchase my chocolates and ship them off to France and Britain. The package to Britain arrived with an imprint of a rather large boot on it and apparently the chocolates were all smashed onto the lid.

The package to France had been opened by customs but appeared fine - until they went to eat them and realized the bottom of each chocolate had been pressed up to reveal what was in it.

These were just packages sent a few years ago, from family members as I do not ship outside of Canada. You might want to talk to a customs broker to go over all the rules to ensure quick shipments. You may have to go with a more expensive mode of shipping like courier companies that offer the customs clearing services.

Stable, temperature safe packaging will be key.

Oh the horror-a boot print??? Hey, When I was a little girl and my parents got a "bonbonierre" - a box of chocolates, my brother and I only liked crunchy ones, so we would push the bottoms to see if it was crunchy or soft... (punishment often comes much later in strange packages...!!) But for customs officials to do that... YUCK!!! I would be horrified if anyone did that to my "gems"! :laugh:

Yeah it seems such a headache all those laws and customs requirements... Ergh.

Google "Thomas Haas, Vancouver" and look at his oveseas packaging

Clever man. He packs his chocolates in a plastic tray with indentations or dimples. The air is sucked out and a sheet of clear plastic is welded all over the tray. Basically each dimple or cup is sealed tight. Bomb-proof, but.....

The only thing you have to worry about is temperature extremes. Don't know what the ambient temp is where you are. I do know that "Cargo" in airfreight can be unpressurized and therfore quite cold, and we've all seen piles of luggage and stuff lying in carts at the airport under the hot sun.

If you can "buddy up" with food/fruit exporters who ships out fresh fruit, you can avoid the temperature question.

The packaging and machinery needed can be very very pricey, however..................

Another option is frozen "Bulk packaging". Your goods are vacuum packed in a bag, or in a box and then vacuum bagged. Any butcher or food mnfctr near you has this equipment. Next you refrigerate the goods for 24 hours, then freeze. Once frozen they are "stable" and can be treated/shipped like ice cream or frozen persishibles. Once the customer recieves them he either keeps them frozen, and when needed puts them in the fridge for 24 hours, then to room temp, then opens the bag. Virtually no damage to the goods if they are treated this way. The pro's to this are easy access to packaging and a guaranteed frozen shipping chain--again, if you "buddy up" with a supplier who sends out frozen stuff.

Good luck!

We ship regular (if not large) orders of our candies to Belgium, Canada, and various islands in the Caribbean and occasional orders to Europe. We always use the USPS for international shipments.

I'm fortunate in that, as a winter-Holiday-seasonal operation we don't have to worry too much about shipping in hot weather. Most of our candies are not particularly fragile either (lots of toffee, barks, caramels etc) so our regular packaging has worked well so far without too much fuss (maybe a few extra candy pads or the like).

Dealing with customs has not been too onerous nor have any shipments been significantly delayed (knock on wood). The customs forms can be a pain in the butt, but doing them online: https://webapps.usps.com/customsforms saves time. There are basically 2 customs forms to use (with a different version of each for military addresses). The different forms are for different ship methods (Priority/Express) and package value. To figure out which form you need to use see this page: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_008.htm. Every country has its own mail prohibitions and restrictions for food/perishables which can be looked-up here: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immctry.htm

Once you've done the customs stuff a few times it won't be too bad but remember that international shipments ARE more work for you and DO carry more inherent risks than domestic shipments. Be sure to charge enough to cover your extra time and be very clear to your customers as to who is taking the risk if the shipment gets lost, damaged or delayed. Insurance is, of course, available and it is reasonably priced BUT read the fine print carefully to make determine what is covered (often the value of perishable products are excluded and all you'll get is a postage refund).

I think international business is an excellent opportunity but not without downsides. Good luck!

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

yeh that is small! But small is in. Well Is ent a few packages of chocolates today overseas to Canada and the U.S. Small orders and it is to people who will forgive me if they arrived in bad condition! I sent it by our registered mail. There is a better service of 3 day delivery but here Sat is not a working day and there Sunday is not...so if I send it Friday it will not get there before Monday or Tuesday... And it costs 3 tomes the price. I decided to start from the basics and work my way up accordingly. For a 1 kg package I paid around 8$ or just less. It is a beginning!