• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dipping Oil for Bread

ElsieD

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a dipping oil for bread? I would like one for dipping focaccia. You would think I could find one, but I haven't been able to. I would like something spicy, with rosemary as one of the other ingredients. TIA!

Edited by ElsieD (log)

We like this copycat recipe:

Carrabba's Italian Grill Bread Dip Mix

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon dried rosemary

1 tablespoon dried basil

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon salt

Grind together

To use, put 1 tablespoon of mixture in a small bowl. Pour extra virgin olive oil over and mix together.

We like this copycat recipe:

Carrabba's Italian Grill Bread Dip Mix

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon dried rosemary

1 tablespoon dried basil

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon salt

Grind together

To use, put 1 tablespoon of mixture in a small bowl. Pour extra virgin olive oil over and mix together.

every single visit I take to Carraba's begins and ends with a bite of crust in said dipping oil :)

Thank you for your responses. I will try this recipe but I have one question. Is the minced garlic granulated or fresh? I'm thinking granulated so it will keep but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again!

Why not just use a good vinaigrette? My current favorite is:

1 egg boiled 10 seconds

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1/3 C red wine vinegar

1 1/2 T finely minced garlic

3 T Dijon mustard

1 t dried basil

1 t dried oregano

2 T dried parsley

1/2 t salt

pepper

One 2.0 ounce can flat anchovies packed in oil, minced, with oil

1 C olive oil

Combine all but last two ingredients. Whip.

Add last two ingredients slowly with whipping.

Tonight for dinner had about 2 quarts of washed, chilled, crisp Romaine lettuce with about 1/2 C of this dressing, a lot of freshly ground black pepper, about 2 ounces of freshly grated Italian Pecorino Romano cheese, and six slices of softly toasted bread.

The best part was the vinaigrette on the bread! It would be pretty good with the lettuce missing and just the rest with the bread!

I usually make a triple recipe, eat it all, give up on it for two months or so, come back, and am amazed at the first taste again.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?