• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Peruvian Chicken condiment recipe

SheenaGreena

I live in the Baltimore/DC area which means that I have access to some great Peruvian chicken places. Whenever I get the chicken I am usually served a green and yellow sauce. I know how to make the green one (easy enough), but it is the yellow one that I am more concerned about. I searched high and low (even on chowhound, google, etc.) and didn't even find anything remotely close. I know it has mayo in it, maybe mustard, and maybe aji amarillo sauce. I found a bunch of recipes for something similar that involves feta cheese but I don't think that is even in the sauce.

I recently started going to this new place in College Park, MD called Sardi's Pollo a la Brasa. This place is different from all the rest, because it serves an additional white sauce on the side. Wish I knew what that was too, but the yellow sauce is more important.

Figured I'd post this on this board instead of the South American one because this one gets the most action (:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I am amazed that you find the making of the green sauce easy and most humbly ask you to share your recipe for it. It was always the opposite with me meaning that I love the green sauce, found multiple recipes for it online, tried to make it, but could never get it right. On the other hand, the yellow sauce only tastes of mayo and mustard to me. Actually, I've often wondered if the mayo wasn't really Miracle Whip since the versions I've gotten with my take out Peruvian chicken tastes kind of sweet.

BTW, I purchase my Peruvian chicken in the Metro DC area so I'm guessing that what you and I buy may probably taste similar.

Thanks and good luck in finding the right recipe. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I guess what I meant to say is that I found countless recipes online for the green stuff. I haven't tried to make it, because I am more into the yellow sauce. I made a quick version of it earlier with miracle whip and aji amarillo paste and it tasted nothing like the stuff at el pollo rico.

Sheena is this stuff Kraft Mac n Cheese Yellow?

I have had a sauce that was sort of cheesy, pretty spicy, and I thought it would be better hot. A Columbian co-worker brought it in and served it on potatoes but she didn't know what was in it since her neighbor made it.

I found a sauce that is supposed to be served on potatoes that seems right....Feta is an option in the recipe but I think Queso Fresco is the proper cheese. It kind of feels right in between Feta and Ricotta

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Papas_a_la_Huanca%C3%ADna

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I wish I could be of more help with the yellow sauce; instead of feta could it be Mexican cotija cheese? I've never been served that mystery white sauce, so if you find out what that is, please share.

Trying to duplicate one's favorite sauce or seasoning from a take out place or restaurant can be maddening.

Again, good luck.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My friend Maria, a wonderful cook from Peru, once served us the potato dish with the white (?) sauce. She gave me the recipe when I asked for it, and I scrawled down all the ingredients.

1 aji amarillo, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

8 oz queso fresco

5 oz evaporated milk

1 tsp salt, or to taste

ground black pepper to taste

1 oz vegetable oil

It's more of a pale yellow...very sunny looking if that can be a way to describe something? It'll have to do for now.

yeah I found a ton of recipes for a peruvian sauce that had feta cheese in it but I didn't taste any cheese in the sauce. I think if there was cheese I could "feel" it in my mouth. The sauce was really smooth and creamy like a mayonaise so I'm pretty sure that it's mayo based.

I have no idea if this is what you're looking for, but there's a recipe for a Peruvian yellow sauce here:

http://savour-fare.com/2009/06/03/peruvian-party-chicken-with-2-sauces/

It consists of manzana chiles, mayo, garlic and sugar.

Hope that gets you closer!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Thanks, yeah I have that bookmarked from an earlier search and will definitely try it out. I'm guessing I should use good ol' hellman's as opposed to miracle whip. I tried it with MW earlier and the taste was way way off. Awful stuff, really ):

I'll try this tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. I definitely don't have manzana chiles but will use my aji amarillo paste instead.

I was very busy this weekend. It's restaurant week here in Baltimore so I took advantage of the food - and the booze. So yeah I am going to try this out this week.

I swear I have ADD when it comes to cooking. I just got the new momofuku cookbook in the mail so I am having a lot of fun with that.