• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potatoes

Haggis

Appropriate to the season, I am wondering how Indians prepare sweet potatoes and yams. This year I have been assigned to bring a sweet potato/yam dish to the Thanksgiving potluck that I will be attending on the day after Thanksgiving, and I thought I'd not make the usual candied dish with marshmallows, and make something with exotic spices. If no other suggestions appear, I will probably make mashed sweet potatoes with butter, yoghurt, ginger, green chiles, garam masala, cardamom, and cinnamon. I'll throw some thinly sliced crisp caramelized onion on top for flavor as much as garnish. Anyone have any tips on how to enhance or improve the above? Better still, what are some genuine recipes that Indians use to prepare sweet potatoes?

Edited by Haggis (log)

Appropriate to the season, I am wondering how Indians prepare sweet potatoes and yams. This year I have been assigned to bring a sweet potato/yam dish to the Thanksgiving potluck that I will be attending on the day after Thanksgiving, and I thought I'd not make the usual candied dish with marshmallows, and make something with exotic spices. If no other suggestions appear, I will probably make mashed sweet potatoes with butter, yoghurt, ginger, green chiles, garam masala, cardamom, and cinnamon. I'll throw some thinly sliced crisp caramelized onion on top for flavor as much as garnish. Anyone have any tips on how to enhance or improve the above? Better still, what are some genuine recipes that Indians use to prepare sweet potatoes?

Your idea sounds wonderful.

When I was a kid living in Delhi, when in season, a vendor would come every evening with a cart that had lots of sweetpotatoes (shakarkandi) and a griddle. He would make a chaat out of sweet potatoes.

These were sweet potatoes that had been baked till charred on the outside. So the caramel was oozing from them. They were then cubed, heated on the griddle and then tossed with lemon juice and Chaat Masala.

I also make yams with peas in a Tari ka Masala (watery sauce). If you would like, I can PM or email (enables me to send you word attachment) you the recipe. If you do email me.. Please put "yam recipe" in the subject.

Oh man! I love sweet potatoes and yams!  I would greatly appreciate these recipies in email format if you can manage it!!!!! 

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Do you really cook Ben? You look too clean cut too cook in those great pics..:rolleyes:

Just kidding.. Being Tommy here.... Email me a note.. and I can attach the recipe and send it your way... :smile:

Oh man! I love sweet potatoes and yams!  I would greatly appreciate these recipies in email format if you can manage it!!!!!  

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Do you really cook Ben? You look too clean cut too cook in those great pics..:rolleyes:

Just kidding.. Being Tommy here.... Email me a note.. and I can attach the recipe and send it your way... :smile:

Heh heh heh,

Well when I cook I make a point not to bathe for a couple days before the process. I get pretty scruffy too. :raz:

Thanks again! I need to get back into some more indian cooking!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Oh man! I love sweet potatoes and yams!  I would greatly appreciate these recipies in email format if you can manage it!!!!!  

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Heh heh heh,

Well when I cook I make a point not to bathe for a couple days before the process. I get pretty scruffy too. :raz:

Thanks again! I need to get back into some more indian cooking!

Ben

The recipe has been emailed. Have fun cooking! :smile:

Suvir, I ran straight home today and made the crispy yam and peas recipe you sent. On my way I picked up a supply of dried mango powder and asafetida. I had a great time since I dont usually deep fry. I forgot how fun it can be. Wheeeee!

I believe that it came out quite good even with my mistakes! Here are some pics for you to critique :cool: .

fd04b8e4.jpg

My yam chunks frying away! The first batch did not get as crispy as the following ones, but were still quite tasty.

fd04b8ec.jpg

This is after I had added the tomato puree, yams, peas, and water. Looks pretty tasty! how is the yam/pea/sauce ratio in this pic? I just guessed since I do not have a good way to weigh items to proportion them correctly.

fd04b8e8.jpg

All done and ready for a bite. This is where I took the liberty of messing with the recipe due to dire circumstances...and also screwing up. I was looking through my fridge for the plain yoghurt and realized that I had run out. I decided to substitute sour cream instead and it seemed to fit fairly well, but I could tell it would have been better with the yoghurt.

Also, I forgot to put in my newly purchased dried mango powder. doh! Well it just means I have to make it again!

I plan on making the other recipe you sent and the great one monica pm'ed me too!

Again, many thanks for the great recipes you are so generous with!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Thanks for the great photographs Ben.

The middle one before the sour cream is added looks amazing... My mouth started to water....

The final version looks nice.. but rich.... WHich is a good thing for those special times.

The mango powder will make the dish get a subtle sourness. The yogurt adds to the acid and also gives a gentle creaminess that makes the dish become almost tangy and also remain fresh and light while getting a little creamy. The color is also wonderful with the yogurt.. It does not get too white.

Many thanks for taking pictures. What a treat... You are most wonderful in your enthusiasm and your generosity in sharing yourself. It makes one want to give you more and more... for you come back with so much more. Thanks!

Have fun with the other recipes... and make this one when you want to again... and post to let us know...