• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Decoration and Logistics needed

Kim Shook

I need some advice. I have somehow obligated myself to making a giant cake and fruit tarts for 50+ people this Saturday. I offered to ‘bring something’ – figuring that I’d be asked to do a couple of dozen cupcakes, a big salad, etc. I know, I know :blink: . But anyway, it’s done and now I need to get BUSY!!

It’s a graduation party and the graduate (my SIL) would like something appropriate for a cake decoration. I’ve already told her that I don’t do lettering, so she suggested mortar boards. I am thinking of doing a 3 layer sheet cake with chocolate icing and candy mortar boards placed on icing ‘poufs’ around the top of the cake – maybe one in the center and a few more scattered (artistically :rolleyes: ) around. I was thinking that I could use Ghiradelli white chocolate squares for the board and ‘glue’ a tassel made of fruit roll ups to it topped with an M&M for the button. Does this sound good? Does anyone have a better (i.e. EASIER) way to do this? And what would you use to ‘glue’ this all together?

As far as the fruit tarts go, I am really going to go Sandra Lee on this – purchased tart shells, painted with melted chocolate, a plop of prepared pudding, a couple of slices of fruit and then brush the whole thing with melted jelly. I am not happy with this, but I just don’t have the time to do the job I’d like to do. My real question here is how far in advance can I do any/all of this (for the tarts - I'm ok on the cake)? Mr. Kim (who’s stepsister this is! :angry: ) is having to work all morning on Saturday (new Governor and all), so I am completely alone in this. I do have half a day on Friday off, so I can get a lot done then. The earlier I can do stuff, the better.

Thank you so much for your help – I’m feeling distinctly panic-y! :wacko:

You can paint the tart shells with chocolate days in advance. The pudding can be made the day before, but then, so could pastry cream. One easy fruit to use is canned mandarin oranges.

The tarts themselves need to remain refrigerated and should be served the same day.

Royal icing is the traditional glue for sweets.

Instead of mortarboards, you could get rice paper and licorice laces and make tiny rolled diplomas.

I know you do it all by hand usually but since you are short of time, maybe you could find a store nearby you and order premade decorations along the theme of graduating-like from sugarcraft or wilton. Then you can use them as a border or centered. Or have lollie molded chocolates standing upright on the cake-these are available all over.

Or maybe make the cake look like a big book that is opened by cutting it and then frosting it.

Another idea is to make a swiss rolland not roll it all the way up-looks like a scroll-saw it somewhere...

Take photos!!Google grad cakes to get ideas also!Good luck!

Edited by Lior (log)

I know you do it all by hand usually but since you are short of time, maybe you could find a store nearby you and order premade decorations along the theme of graduating-like from sugarcraft or wilton. Then you can use them as a border or centered. Or have lollie molded chocolates standing upright on the cake-these are available all over.

Or maybe make the cake look like a big book that is opened by cutting it and then frosting it.

Another idea is to make a swiss rolland not roll it all the way up-looks like a scroll-saw it somewhere...

Take photos!!Google grad cakes to get ideas also!Good luck!

There are cake pans shaped like an open book, probably Wilton or the like.

I would suggest looking at commercial decorations to see if anything would work - you have plenty to do!

If you decide to make the little mortar boards, try licorice strings for the tassel (or use a REAL small fabric tassel for better effect and less work, if you can make it clear they are not edible).

OR make a life-size mortar board from a thin cake square placed on top of the sheet cake; then the licorice strings for the tassel would be in scale, or you could use a real tassel.

Thank you all so much! I have found a recipe for some fruit tarts that I think will save me time and money and be more - from scratch! Like an answer to a prayer, huh? It is a shortbread crust, poked into mini muffin tins and baked, filled with a cream cheese filling and topped with berries/fruit at the last minute. Each batch makes 36, so I'll double it and have plenty, I think. Yes???

I'm going shopping as soon as I get off tonight and then go home and make the shortbread cups and maybe one or two layers for the cake. Whew! Mr. Kim says that since these are folks who don't really cook at all, they probably have no idea what is involved with what they are asking for. So I'm going to be very forgiving - :rolleyes:

Royal icing is traditional glue, but cheap melted 'candy coating' works pretty well too and may be quicker and easier if you have only a little gluing to do. Good luck!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Royal icing is traditional glue, but cheap melted 'candy coating' works pretty well too and may be quicker and easier if you have only a little gluing to do. Good luck!

Thank you! I don't have any candy coating, but I do have lots of chocolate - would it be alright to use regular melted chocolate?

Thank you! I don't have any candy coating, but I do have lots of chocolate - would it be alright to use regular melted chocolate?

If you melt the chocolate, you'll probably have to temper it for it to work as glue. -Unless you never let it get hotter than about 85°.