• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

I love cocktail weenies - little itty bitty hot dogs that you can eat a lot of. Nigella Lawson has the great recipe of tossing cocktail weenies with soy, honey & sesame oil and baking the whole mess till dark brown and caramelized. Yummmmmmm....

I use cocktail weenies and the same size spicy sausages, I cut puff pastry (or crescent roll dough if I'm feeling lazy) into small triangles, place a strip of pepper jack cheese (about the size of a stick of gum) on the dough, place a weenie on top and wrap..

Bake in a 350° F oven for 12-15 minutes, till lightly browned.

Serve with spicy mustard and spicy cocktail (tomato) sauce.

I prepare about three times as many as I think will be consumed and never have any leftovers. Some guys eat them like popcorn.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I LOVE canned tomatoes.

Love them.

No shame in that. I love them too.

If I want a "light" lunch, I take a thin slice of crusty bread, ladle on some stewed tomatoes, right out of the can, allow it to soak in a bit and then consume.

Low calorie too.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am also ashamed that I tried to mince garlic with a knife for a while, but I sucked at it and went back to my garlic press.

Yeah, I can't really mince garlic very well with a knife, either. I keep trying, though, and give my family members the eye if they say anything about getting a too-large piece of garlic in their bite of sauce. It doesn't help matters, either, that I actually like bigger pieces of garlic.

Check out this video at YouTube. How to mince garlic I'll bet Bourdain can't do this. :smile:

I love those cream cheese concoctions.

I second the adding of shrimp to either the cream cheese block (or make it into a ball) or the cocktail sauce. You can even add "real" shrimp though I am sure in the 70s it would have been the tiny (tinny?) canned ones. There was an era of the pepper jelly too.

I like pitted ripe olives out of the can.

There is no shame in that (pitted or not)! I eat the whole can by myself - hate to share. Fortunately, I married a guy that does not like olives (silly man), so I get them all! :laugh:

I love them but I also am extremely partial to the "green ripe" olives marketed under the Olive Pit brand and the difficult to find, Santa Barbara Olive Co. product.

They have a lovely, buttery flavor that is much richer than the black ripe olives.

Lindsay Naturals are pretty good but not as good as these.

Is it okay to shame others? Shame on Fairway in Stamford. I bought a package of lamb stew meat only to find half of the package was bones. A couple of pieces are okay as they provide flavor to the braise. I have sent an email to their customer service dept, but have not heard back.

They emailed me back about this issue. They looked into it and deemed it an isolated incident. They are going to send me a $10 gift cart for my troubles. Nothing like good customer service. :smile:

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I have been browsing the forums for a while now, and this seemed like as good a first post as any...I might as well get it out in the open early...

I love ketchup on my hot dogs, the more burnt the dog the better (my grandfather said that burnt food makes you live longer...He is 89 and his mother lived to 101, i am not going to argue)

My last meal would be nacho cheeese doritos and thinly sliced salami

Nothing is better than a beef and potato borritto from taco bell at 2am.

Kraft singles are a staple in my fridge...mostly for grilled cheese, and cheesey scrambled eggs

I am still trying to make a curly fry better than Arby's

I disgrace really good whiskey with ginger ale

I buy double stuffed oreos, twist them apart, attach the fillings together making a qaudrouple stuffed oreo and soak the remaining cookies in just enough milk to make a cookie like sludge to be eaten with a spoon. i am not sure which one i like more...

That is all i am willing to share for now...maybe with time i can really open up.

• 12 years later...

I read all 15 pages of this this morning and I couldn't stop saying, me, too. This one is too good not to revive. We all post our beautiful, healthy recipes and we never say anything about our dirty little secrets. I'm afraid that if I post all of mine I will just add another 15 pages.

My worst one is ice cream. It's so bad that I don't even keep it in the house anymore. I can't keep it in the house. Give me a quart of ice cream and I can magically make it transform into a teaspoon within just a few hours and I don't even have to dirty a dish. A half gallon may take me a couple hours more.

My worst stupidity is that I know that anything with a high sugar content is going to make me suffer with cramps later on. But I still stick them in my cart and I still eat them and suffer later.

My favorite wine ever was a Masi valpolicello that we used to get for $2.49 a bottle. Never had anything to top that.

I really do like the taste of fake crab.

I'm sure that I will think of more things later but right now @Darienne it is your turn.

Thank you, @Dave the Cook for this one.

• Haha 5

I'm thinking about it, I really am.  Other than a weakness for potato chips and French Fries, I'm not sure what's worth mentioning.  And I don't even like ice cream.  I make it continuously for Ed but I never eat it.  

Oh, I found my post from a few years back.  I still like my hot dogs burnt and in cheap buns with cheap yellow mustard and sweet pickle relish.  And with potato chips.  But we haven't had hot dogs for a few years now...although I did have Ed buy them just this very week.  And we'll have them tomorrow.  

Added: Well, here's one.  While we are in the Southwest, we eat Mexican food all the time and each time I say to myself, this time I'm going to try something else...and each time I order Chile Rellenos again.  Alas, we can't get them in our nearby city and they are just too much trouble to make.  I do make a Chile Relleno Casserole.  Which I think I'll make right now.  I have the Poblanos...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

5 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Other than a weakness for potato chips and French Fries, I'm not sure what's worth mentioning. 

I must say that I am a little disappointed in you but I also realize that since Ed does most of your shopping, you don't have it right there in your face tempting you like the rest of us do.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I must say that I am a little disappointed in you but I also realize that since Ed does most of your shopping, you don't have it right there in your face tempting you like the rest of us do.

I think you may well be correct on this one, TS.  I did have some significant tempters but going way back now. 

Yesterday for the first time in I can't remember how long, I went out to lunch with a friend and then we went to a Dollarama...oh, the big time...because I needed some Dollarama type item which Ed still hadn't bought...and I ended up going up and down every aisle, looking at all the stuff which is out there.  And wondering, where on earth I had been for the last decade or so?

And Ed does ALL the shopping.  :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

27 minutes ago, Darienne said:

.... I ended up going up and down every aisle, looking at all the stuff which is out there.  And...

As we ask over and over when going to estate and garage sales, why on earth people bought all that unnecessary, often even useless STUFF!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

As we ask over and over when going to estate and garage sales, why on earth people bought all that unnecessary, often even useless STUFF!   

True, that.  And after I buy it I think, what am I going to do with that useless stuff?

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My only saving grace, @Margaret Pilgrim and @ElsieDis that I never go to garage sales - for just that reason!

The year we lived in Moab, 16 years ago, we rented a two-bedroom house from my dear Moab friend.  It was totally empty.  I mean EMPTY !!

Ed went to the second hand stores and garage sales day after day and we furnished the entire house completely.  He had fun and I did not go. 

Not until the end of the searches...because I have this tendency to see something, no doubt completely useless, ugly as all get out...and remark...who on earth would want that ugly thing?...and the answer would be "ME"!!!   

When we left, we had the garage sale to end all garage sales ... but we came home with our full size van packed to the brim with what became our treasured purchases and you can still see them all around the house.  The poor dogs had about 2 square feet to be in for four days travelling home.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

59 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My only saving grace, @Margaret Pilgrim and @ElsieDis that I never go to garage sales - for just that reason!

Totally understand.    Plus, garage and estate sales have supplied me with extraordinary treasures.   As I look around my kitchen I spot a le creuset tagine, PA Dutch cheese grater, Atlas pasta maker, 80% of my cookware (mostly AllClad), ice cream freezers, 9 pieces of superb quality heavy copper cookware, several vintage crocks that hold cooking utensils.   And that's without turning around.   Looking down, I see my well loved 4 ply cashmere pullover.   

Were I to open my cupboards, I would find 100% dinnerware and even 18thC silver flatware from estate sales.   

Go, look, learn and just leave the junk behind.  

Happily, Second Hand Rose.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

This is one weird thread. I don't want to go back any further than this page. I don't see how going to flea markets is shameful. It's fun, and buying crap you don't really need has always been part of it, just as finding treasures you still love after fifty years. 

Above is the first post by someone named Duby, That person only posted for a few months in 2011, but there's enough that's alarming  in that one post. I wonder what happened to that person. Praise be that they didn't "open" any further in this thread.

I can't think of anything really shameful about what I've eaten in the past. I can however think of some awful  moments that involved things that  came back up. When it comes to creative use of Oreos no doubt the examples are legion. I myself am not at all ashamed of the fact that if an Oreo ever comes my way I scrape off the filling into the trash. The cookies themselves aren't bad.

As for ice cream, all we can do is thank our lucky stars we can afford a pint and a freezer to keep it cold. Cheers!

• Like 1