• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

My go to snack:

Bagel, philly cream cheese, hot cherry peppers and top top it all off boar's head hard salami.

I know it sounds disgusting, but oh so shameful yet delicious.

Also, potato chips on just about any sandwich.

I have 4 GIANT boxes of assorted Cap'n Crunch cereals in my pantry. There was a rumor a couple of weeks ago that they were discontinuing production and in a panic, I stocked up. Oh, the shame. :unsure:

Just dipped into your cookbook and now see that you have enough cereal to make Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch Treats for your entire neighborhood. :raz::raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have 4 GIANT boxes of assorted Cap'n Crunch cereals in my pantry. There was a rumor a couple of weeks ago that they were discontinuing production and in a panic, I stocked up. Oh, the shame. :unsure:

Just dipped into your cookbook and now see that you have enough cereal to make Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch Treats for your entire neighborhood. :raz::raz:

Indeed. Not to mention Crunchberry ones. :huh::laugh:

The crunchy texture of the breading on KFC burgers. I hate the sauce. I hate the bun. The fries, too, are rubbish. But that crunch. No other purveyor of fried chicken in Australia nails it. I can get superior fried chicken at the local Japanese takeaway--it's less greasy, tastes more like something from the 'birds' section of the tree of life, but it doesn't have that awesome crunch. I sometimes crave other fast foods but don't actually enjoy them. I guess it's just the hit of salt and fat that I'm after. I do, however, like burgers with the lot from fish and chip shops. It doesn't even need to be a good example of a burger with the lot for me to enjoy it. So long as the meat is half a step past dog food, I'm happy.

Kebabs. I like kebabs made from good quality roast lamb ... but I also like kebabs made from what is basically lamb-flavoured sausage meat with nasty garlic sauce and grease and grease and grease--so much that if you don't eat it quickly, the grease starts to drip from the bag and go everywhere. I don't need to be drunk to do this.

I've no appreciation for wine. I've tried. Cheap wine. Expensive wine. In-between wine. I've had a handful of wines I like. But even then, after more 3/4 of a glass, I've had enough.

This one is damn near universal in Australians, best I can tell: a supermarket-grade sausage (sold as 'BBQ sausage' as opposed to 'pork sausage' or 'beef sauce') cooked to damn near burnt on a BBQ cleaned in the most half arsed of fashions, served with tomato sauce and supermarket white bread and, if you want to get fancy, caramelised onion.

My fine motor skills are rubbish due to my Asperger's. Finely minced garlic? Finely diced onions? Fine anything? Forget about it. I used to try really hard. Now I just slice garlic and cut everything to a medium dice. Even then, it can look ugly.

I'll accept offal in restaurants but I don't cook it. I hate the smell of most forms of offal in their raw state. It reminds me of a pet shop.

Say what you will about it being a good thing that French cuisine has got lighter and healthier, but French food really loses something when you take away all the butter and flour. Coq au vin without the sauce all lightened and enrichened with dairy fat and flour? Do not want. Lasagne without a thick bechamel? Do not want. I like that glugginess.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

:wink:

One of the best-received appetizers I take to others' homes -- to this day! -- consists of a big block of Philly cream cheese with a half bottle or so of bottled shrimp-cocktail sauce poured over it. Add Ritz crackers and a serving/spreading knife, and stand back.

I've never ever had leftovers to take home for myself...[sniffle]

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

One of the best-received appetizers I take to others' homes -- to this day! -- consists of a big block of Philly cream cheese with a half bottle or so of bottled shrimp-cocktail sauce poured over it. Add Ritz crackers and a serving/spreading knife, and stand back.

Interesting. I've never heard of that, but it reminds me of a similar out of the box and bottle party snack from my youth growing up in the South - a block of cream cheese with pepper jelly on top (with Ritz cracers of course). This was always popular too.

As for myself, I am guilty of serving "pigs in blankets" with mustard as an hors d'oeuvre. And yes they are the frozen kind from a box at the supermarket. People have made fun of them, but I've noticed those same people sneaking seconds and thirds. I've never had any left over.

I've no appreciation for wine. I've tried. Cheap wine. Expensive wine. In-between wine. I've had a handful of wines I like. But even then, after more 3/4 of a glass, I've had enough.

Me too. Not a wine drinker at all (gasp). My wife and son both appreciate a 'good' wine but I have only had a very few wines I actually liked. Not a beer drinker, either.

Dark rum on the rox, that's where it's at for me, as long as it's not Bacardi.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

"fruit" slice jelly candies.

I haven't had those things in 50 years, but a bag jumped into my cart the other day ... it was very hard to share them.

A secret passion. Also, the cheap drugstore brand of chocolate covered cherries -- the expensive kind just won't do. But of course you have to sit down on the couch, have a good cry over a sappy old movie and eat the entire box of chocolates in one go, otherwise, what's the point?

"fruit" slice jelly candies.

I haven't had those things in 50 years, but a bag jumped into my cart the other day ... it was very hard to share them.

I like the flat, half-moon variety that are prominent in the stores right now for Passover.

This is much better if you work a couple of cans of tiny shrimp or crabmeat into the cream cheese before topping with the cocktail sauce. This snack almost always makes an appearance at my parent's house over the Christmas holidays. To really make it shameful add some butter to the cream cheese along with the canned crab. Note that an essential element of preparation is that you use your hands to smush this together so that your body heat helps to warm the cheese and or butter slightly.

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Is it okay to shame others? Shame on Fairway in Stamford. I bought a package of lamb stew meat only to find half of the package was bones. A couple of pieces are okay as they provide flavor to the braise. I have sent an email to their customer service dept, but have not heard back.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Oh the shame!

Today I purchased six packages of Peeps. :shock:

Now to see how much I can "expand" them in the microwave before they collapse. :wub:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like hot dogs split and charred, with yellow mustard on a kaiser roll.

And I'm proud of it. :-P

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I had forgotten about splitting the hot dog to allow for more charring. Thanks. I like my hot dogs well charred, with cheap yellow mustard and cheap sweet relish on the cheapest squishiest heated hot dog bun possible. Do not give me a fancy bun! Oh, and regular kettle chips, please (which is not really in keeping with the main feature, is it?)

Once a month for lunch, please.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had forgotten about splitting the hot dog to allow for more charring. Thanks. I like my hot dogs well charred, with cheap yellow mustard and cheap sweet relish on the cheapest squishiest heated hot dog bun possible. Do not give me a fancy bun! Oh, and regular kettle chips, please (which is not really in keeping with the main feature, is it?)

That is exactly right. If the bun is just right, it will stick to the roof of your mouth, too, which for some reason is part of the perfect hot dog experience.

That is exactly right. If the bun is just right, it will stick to the roof of your mouth, too, which for some reason is part of the perfect hot dog experience.

You have hit it right on. Last time DH bought good quality hot dog buns and I was SO disappointed. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I love cocktail weenies - little itty bitty hot dogs that you can eat a lot of. Nigella Lawson has the great recipe of tossing cocktail weenies with soy, honey & sesame oil and baking the whole mess till dark brown and caramelized. Yummmmmmm....

Pizza rolls... Totino's if possible, cheapie version in a pinch. Little cheesy-saucy packets of greasy goodness, even when the filling starts to leak out after microwaving.

And alas, I have a hard time considering anything less than one box a single serving.

Close runner up: cinnamon mini-donuts from Entenmann's and Little Debbie raspberry-filed angel food cakes. Although the angel food cakes seem to have disappeared from most places around here - I suppose to my benefit, but compared to other snack cake options, they were seriously low on the fat scale and had something intriguing going on texture-wise.