• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

I emptied a container of Knorr chicken powder today and actually buried it deep in the trash as if someone would see it,,,,

:laugh:

I actually do bury the occasional item. DH never throws anything away...not even a teaspoonful of leftover soup and of course, no one ever returns to eat the stuff. So I go through the fridge and bury all the evidence. :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I can't be having much fun... My life seems too wholesome compared to what I've been reading. I don't even know what some of these things are that you're talking about. What's a "double stack"?

Snickers. Sometimes I eat a Snickers bar while I'm grocery shopping or at Home Depot. Recently I ate a lot of Cape Cod, Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips for "dessert".

Sometimes, as I pass a KFC, I think of what it used to taste like... the flavor, the unctuousness (or should I say the greasiness?)... then dismiss the thought of stopping. I think it would be like cigars. I used to smoke them occasionally. Recently I had a good cigar after eight years without. Not enjoyable. Bad idea.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I too am a user of canned broth

I don't like oysters

I lived in Japan for three years but don't really like raw fish (unless it is hidden in a maki roll)

I like milk chocolate better than dark

I like KFC mashed potatoes

I only recently started to enjoy asparagus

I live in Spain but am pretty indifferent to ham

My five-year old son is more adventuresomethan I am when it comes to offal

One of my all-time favorite meals has Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup as a primary ingredient

When I was a head pastry chef, I refused to temper chocolate. I'd change a recipe specifically so I didn't have to.

I can kill an entire package of oreos in 24 hours.

I will scold people for eating poptarts specifically so I can sneak them for myself.

Once or twice as a sommelier, I brought a customer a bottle of something I knew s/he'd hate, specifcally so s/he'd return it and I could drink it later.

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

When I was a head pastry chef, I refused to temper chocolate. I'd change a recipe specifically so I didn't have to.

I can kill an entire package of oreos in 24 hours.

I will scold people for eating poptarts specifically so I can sneak them for myself.

Once or twice as a sommelier, I brought a customer a bottle of something I knew s/he'd hate, specifcally so s/he'd return it and I could drink it later.

Thanks for the good laughs. :laugh: :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

I get cravings for White Castle burgers. And their chicken rings. Oh how I love their chicken rings. Good for my heart the nearest is now about five hours away.

The other day, I ate the new burger king ribs.

I've always been partial to bartender soup at work - take a bottle of Schweppes tomato juice mix (it's from-concentrate tomato juice with added salt and citric acid) and put in a mug. Add cream and some bloody mary type spices. Heat using the steam wand on the coffee machine. Enjoy. Don't forget to clean the coffee machine!

I've always been partial to bartender soup at work - take a bottle of Schweppes tomato juice mix (it's from-concentrate tomato juice with added salt and citric acid) and put in a mug. Add cream and some bloody mary type spices. Heat using the steam wand on the coffee machine. Enjoy. Don't forget to clean the coffee machine!

That would explain the pink foam on my latte. Seriously though, it sounds rather good. A big step up from the Depression Era ketchup-and-water soup.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

And their chicken rings. Oh how I love their chicken rings.

What, exactly, is a chicken ring?

Why, a ring of chicken goodness breaded and fried of course! I'm not sure if chicken should be in quotations of not, but it's tasty all the same.

Think of it as the White Castle equivalent of the Mcnuget.

This thread made me make grilled cheese from Kraft Deluxe American slices and fluffy white Texas Toast leftover from Friday's BBQ tonight for Sunday night Snack. (don't cook dinner on Sunday. Family eats a big lunch out every Sunday. Snack only in the evening.)

I don't like Sushi. Tried and tried. Texture thing.

Love Burger King Whoppers and McDonald's fries, Big Mac and Sweet Tea.

Made a vow to myself when still a teenager never to eat spare pig parts and that applies to most animals. I do, however, love fried chicken liver and beef liver and onions. No other innards of any kind will ever pass my lips.

Also have the huge industrial size jar of powdered chicken boullion which I use regularly.

I don't like Sushi. Tried and tried. Texture thing.

If you ever find yourself being able to order California Roll Crunch, I give you a money back guarantee you'll love it. As far as I know its the newest addition to any sushi menu.

Its cooked crab meat, avocado, mayo and spices, wrapped up in rice, then coated with breading and fried.

Of course depending on the chef will be how good it is......however its not your typical sushi. And the one of three types (no raw fish) myself and my born and raised in HI BH will eat.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

On a long road trip through Germany, we stopped at McDonald's. And, as if that weren't shame enough, I had a McRib...

Partly I just wanted to hear my wife order it (I don't speak German).

The best thing about the sandwich was that it was served with a moist towelette. I said to my wife, "It thinks it's ribs!"

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 weeks later...

I am making turkey thigh escabeche and salmon ceviche for dinner from Rick Bayless's Mexico One Dish at a Time book. The ceviche recipe calls for 2 sepremed oranges. I was tired and not in the mood for the delicate work... in goes 1 can of mandarin oranges.... Lazy lazy. ;)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 1 month later...

Hm. Shameful...

I make casseroles occasionally with Campbell's cream of whatever soups.

I buy canned beans instead of dried because I don't want to deal with the cooking time.

I tend to stick to Italian and American-Italian foods because they're generally simple and the flavors are very much to my family's liking.

I'll try anything once, but I will probably never eat artichokes again.

I buy canned broth and boxed stock and use it most of the time. I make my own for things that really need homemade, but when it comes to something like gravy or an occasion when the flavors of whatever it is are going to overpower the delicate broth anyway, I just use the canned or boxed variety. And I just use Swanson, too, not anything fancy.

Me and hot things have never gotten along. To me, the flavor just ends up bitter; there's no real good about it. I tried sriracha recently, though, and I think it's the first time I've met a hot sauce I can actually stand. It's quite good, not too bitter, and I can actually imagine using it on eggs like all you people.

I've still not mastered pie crust. I can make an okay crust, but I've not had the perfect balance of flakey and tender yet. It's one of my winter plans to work on pastry, so I'll probably get it down by next year.

I really like McDonald's chicken nuggets, too. And the chicken selects are better than KFC's version of chicken strips to me. I've noticed lately that KFC anything has become very, very peppery and that's not something I enjoy. The pepper they use seems to impart a very bitter flavor to the breading and, again, I just don't like overly bitter things. Same with McDonald's McChicken. I used to be able to eat it, but now it has just become overwhelmingly peppery. Maybe it's me.

I've not cooked a French dish in my life. I've cooked with French flavors, but never something traditionally French.

I think I've already mentioned peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches on plain white bread.

This thread made me make grilled cheese from Kraft Deluxe American slices and fluffy white Texas Toast leftover from Friday's BBQ tonight for Sunday night Snack. (don't cook dinner on Sunday. Family eats a big lunch out every Sunday. Snack only in the evening.)

Ooooh, I like that. For an American comfort food grilled cheese, the petroleum based Kraft American cheese-like substance is a must. But the Texas Toast angle is pure genius.

After finding a brand of flour tortillas I particularly like, I must admit to an unnatural desire to roll cheese and anything I can find into a tortilla and wax paper and nuking it until properly heated and steamed (can be pan fried afterward if you want crispy).

It took me a surprisingly long time to use canned chili and cheese to come up with something burrito like - except for breakfast burritos (another case where the Kraft cheesish stuff is required).

I just thought of another one. Canned Hormel chili (no beans, please) + Velveeta + tortilla chips = party staple when I was growing up. I still crave it about once a year. I grab the smallest thing of chili, the smallest thing of Velveeta, and bite-size Tostitos and have that for a snack for a few days. Yes, it is super ghetto, but delicious in this really horrible way that I can't describe.

I just thought of another one. Canned Hormel chili (no beans, please) + Velveeta + tortilla chips = party staple when I was growing up. I still crave it about once a year. I grab the smallest thing of chili, the smallest thing of Velveeta, and bite-size Tostitos and have that for a snack for a few days. Yes, it is super ghetto, but delicious in this really horrible way that I can't describe.

A few years ago, we had a "retro" themed New Years Eve party, with cocktails and snacks that were popular in the 70's and 80's. I took a poll, what were some of the things that were at EVERY party, when my friends were kids? That was one of those things. I'd never had it before, but after that party, I developed a slight obsession... I don't even have the "but it was comfort food, when I was a kid" argument. I just really liked it!

I just thought of another one. Canned Hormel chili (no beans, please) + Velveeta + tortilla chips = party staple when I was growing up.

Close to something I love: Hormel Chili and cream cheese heated together. Hand me a chip and watch out!

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

[For an American comfort food grilled cheese, the petroleum based Kraft American cheese-like substance is a must. But the Texas Toast angle is pure genius.

Can we throw some cheese in the car's gas tank if we run out? :rolleyes: Care to elaborate for us uneducated how this is petroleum based food?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb