• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

Got over the shame of food in elementery. When you are the only asian kid in class bring lunch items which were completely unfamiliar by 4th graders in the early 70's, you better grow a thick skin fast and know how to shoot back.

But these days, I love maruchan and top ramen. Love SPAM!!! And I love the costco hotdog (food court). Not at all ashamed but I supposed people could look down at their noses.

Side, note, my kids take dumplings, korean, chinese, mexican and other ethnic foods, to school lunches sometimes. Apprently his classmates think it cool. how thing have changed.

I confess to eating an occasional frozen Banquet Beef Pot Pie. Swanson's won't do nor even Marie Callander's. It's gotta be Banquet.

Many years ago when they were four for a dollar I bought four. There was not a bit of beef in any of them.

I love the costco hotdog food court.

We too, all the Asian and Haole sides of the family. I was going to write that the reason is they are Hebrew National and we all know they make good salami and HOT DOGS. But in my never ending quest to be accurate (Which I rarely achieve), I web searched and found out they are now sell their own brand, Kirkland.

I read it here

I won't repeat what the article says but I gotta put this:

"In 2009, they expect to sell more than 90 million"

Hey Soup, sorry it does not count in the EG Hall of Shame.........LOL.....with those many people eating them, its more of a culture thing. :laugh:

PS: They cost $1.50, I THINK a little more here, and include a drink. If its my wife and I, we always share a drink so savings for them there.

Sometimes we bring 5 or 6 home to my MIL's for a meal, and then maybe we will get a single drink to share on the ride home.

so let's see thats $135,000,000. dollars generated selling hot dogs.

Holy Mustard and Relish Batman !!!!!!

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I was especially hungry the other night when we needed to grab a bite at Costco's food court so I bought 2 polish sausage/soda combos and a slice of cheese pizza. That got us each a drink and the food we wanted for $5.43 including tax. It's not haute cuisine but it filled us up while we were on the run. My problem, trying to feel the shame... :laugh:

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Talk about the power of suggestion: Tater Tots are on the menu tonight, along with some grilled Bratwursts slathered in caramelized onions and mustard. Bliss!

Can't decide if I should keep reading this forum or stop before I cave in and buy other "shameful" food the next time I'm in the market. Who am I kidding?!?!? I'll keep coming back to be tempted.

The Wright Table

Becoming a better home cook, one meal at a time.

Wendy's Double Stacks. Three of 'em at a time. At least once a week for lunch.

In my defense (albeit a poor one) it is much more about time than quality. Obviously.

I love the costco hotdog food court.

We too, all the Asian and Haole sides of the family. I was going to write that the reason is they are Hebrew National and we all know they make good salami and HOT DOGS. But in my never ending quest to be accurate (Which I rarely achieve), I web searched and found out they are now sell their own brand, Kirkland.

I read it here

I won't repeat what the article says but I gotta put this:

"In 2009, they expect to sell more than 90 million"

Hey Soup, sorry it does not count in the EG Hall of Shame.........LOL.....with those many people eating them, its more of a culture thing. :laugh:

PS: They cost $1.50, I THINK a little more here, and include a drink. If its my wife and I, we always share a drink so savings for them there.

Sometimes we bring 5 or 6 home to my MIL's for a meal, and then maybe we will get a single drink to share on the ride home.

so let's see thats $135,000,000. dollars generated selling hot dogs.

Holy Mustard and Relish Batman !!!!!!

I am a Costco member as well as a hot dog lover. My local Costco hasn't switched, and from what I hear, many have not. I've also heard that the supply shortage was overstated and possibly not true. Although I haven't tasted the Kirkland brand, friends of mine whose opinions I value have said it doesn't come close to Hebrew National.

Hebrew National is a high quality dog. Although I prefer my dogs with a casing (you can get Hebrew National with a collagen casing at Kosher butcher shops and Wegmans), you won't find a better value. I go to Costco for their hot dogs. My wife goes for everything else.

John the hot dog guy

I am surprised that no one from a army family has not posted one of my favorites Creamed Chipped Beef or SOS. My grandmother use to make the best for breakfast, my mother made it for a "fast" lunch and me I will eat it anytime! It is so sad that neither my hubby nor my son will touch it :(.

I also love.....I know the horror.....French's mustard and sardines on a saltine!!!!

Edited by Bree20 (log)

Sorry, these posts are insufficiently shameful. So it's time for me to step in.

I hate wasting food, and I dearly love anything sweet. So, at birthday parties (only of very good friends), I have at times rescued half-eaten cake slices from the trash bin, trimmed off the eaten-on bit, and sneakily consumed the rest. You know, if they're still on the plate, perched upright on the very top.

I've usually had a glass of wine (or three) when this happens. And my only regret would be if I got caught.

. . . I hate wasting food, and I dearly love anything sweet. So. . .

Lora, for me it's cheese and neglected hors d'oeuvre. This is why we love the clearing up after the party! Not only do we get to compare notes about everybody who was there, we get to scarf up their leftovers. And yep, I'm not above finishing somebody's cabernet! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Last week, I had a meal sequence that went something like this: Dunkin' Donuts, Burger King, lousy conference buffet, Dunkin' Donuts, lousy catered sandwiches, cold pizza, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's.

Finally saved by staff meal at work, but, still....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Last week, I had a meal sequence that went something like this: Dunkin' Donuts, Burger King, lousy conference buffet, Dunkin' Donuts, lousy catered sandwiches, cold pizza, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's.

Finally saved by staff meal at work, but, still....

Ha! That's not cause for shame -- just a sign that you're a true Rhode Islander! I remember feeling compelled to get some Dunkin' Donuts at the airport every time I left Providence, just as a show of loyalty to Lil Rhody...

Dunkin' Donuts is my go to Saturday breakfast. Sausage on a tosted English muffin and a large Iced coffee and I'm a happy camper! I also :blush: to admit that on most days, breakfast at work is a Bagelful or a Rudy's susage and biscuit pack (2 sliderlike sausages on little tiny buns that only wish they could grow up to be hamburger rolls) Oh, the shame!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Does eating a 3 inch piece of summer sausage and some crackers while driving on the freeway to get to my grandson's swim meet on time qualify as shameful?

That's not nearly shameful enough. Throw some mayonnaise in there, make the sausage SPAM, make the crackers saltines, and then we might get judgemental. Actually...that sounds kind of delicious now that I think about it....

Right now I would kill for a Dunkin' Donut. My shame for today will have to be eating cottage cheese for breakfast directly out of the container because I didn't want to dirty a bowl. The great thing about a donut-based diet is the lack of necessity for dishes.

McDonald's fries dipped in a shake, preferably chocolate, but strawberry is good as well.

Fritos on a ham and American cheese sandwich with French's mustard. I absolutely love Fritos and stock up on them whenever I go back to the USA. I guess it's a good thing I don't get over there very often these days.

I often use bottled lemon and lime juice in cocktails. Yes, I know fresh-squeezed is the way to go, but sometimes I do not have fresh lemons/limes on hand, and even when I do, I cannot be bothered to squeeze a cup of lemon juice by hand (I don't have a citrus juicer).

I cannot poach an egg. Love poached eggs, understand the technique, but I just can't do them at home without ending up with egg-water.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a different kind of shame but... I don't like sous vide as a cooking method for steaks. I actually *like* the ring of more well done meat followed by rarer meat -- I like the textural contrast. And broiling my steaks way gets more char on the outside than I've ever been able to get when I grill them after the sous vide process.

Back in the day, way back in the day, I waited tables.

"Buspan Cuisine" is how we referred to it. I mean - young women on a date would leave like 2/3 of the prime rib on the plate!

Outside of that, tuna fish out of the can with saltine crackers. A can of Chef-Boy-Ardee Beefaroni - cold, out of the can.

I'm not really ashamed of anything that I eat (and I'm from the Appalachians so that can get interesting)...but what I won't eat, or drink rather. I really just don't like wine. I've tried to develop a taste for it, but it's just not there. I can stomach red wine, but white just plain disgusts me.