• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

Times three.Rawish duck is just silly. Likewise red tuna. Cook fish!And duck. And pork. Tastes better.

When it comes to tuna, I want it completely raw, or completely cooked. No rare duck or pork please. The only meat I like rare is beef, and even then, I like it to be at least warm in the center.

On the hot dog thing, I like mine with mustard. None of that fancy stuff either. Just yellow "ball park" style mustard.

Cheryl

• 3 weeks later...

One of my husband's favourite breakfasts (esp when a tad hungover) is generic store-brand Tater Tots. I break a few eggs into a frying pan, put the "Tots" into a bowl and microwave them for 1-2 mins and then the soft-yolked eggs go on top of the Tots. Sprinkle with pepper. Add ketchup.

If it's a bad hangover, I have an emergency bottle of Prosecco or similar that can be mixed with orange or tangerine juice. After all, then you're getting Vitamin C, right?

Other leftovers can get thrown in with the potatoes - ham is especially good. I've even used a hot dog weiner.

To add to my first list.

I...like...Waffle House :blush:

Have you ever been to a Huddle House? (Down here, they are often across the street from one another.)

Huddle House will make you realize Awful House is, well, really awful!

I keep a strictly kosher kitchen and would never consider putting meat and dairy on the same plate... however, I have never seen a lactating chicken. Ice cream for dessert? Maybe.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Yesterday, I ate lunch at McDonald's and dinner from Taco Bell. In between, I taught a class on how to cook vegetables.

Oh my.

I've finally admitted to myself that I prefer Jiffy Factory Peanut Butter to the Organic Nuts-Only kind.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Oh my.

I've finally admitted to myself that I prefer Jiffy Factory Peanut Butter to the Organic Nuts-Only kind.

We keep 2 jars of peanut butter in the house - organic nuts only for my wife and regular grocery store Jiffy for me. I like the higher viscosity.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Oh my.

We keep 2 jars of peanut butter in the house - organic nuts only for my wife and regular grocery store Jiffy for me. I like the higher viscosity.

They're quite different foods, aren't they? For jar-to-mouth I like the Jiffy. Fluffy white bread with jam it's gotta be Factory PB. For cooking with dipping sauce for meats, filling celery stalks etc. I still like the real stuff.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I like Log Cabin syrup better than maple syrup. I finally gave up and just buy it for the few times a year we use it. We noticed the latest bottling has no HFCS, but not even a smidge of maple syrup, unlike past versions.

I use el cheapo wine for wine-based stews, saving the good stuff for the table.

This NYTimes article suggests that cheap wine for cooking might be just fine. I've done some unscientific testing myself, and have to say I agree based on my experiences so far.

Some time ago I started using Two-Buck Chuck in a lot of my cooking, and y'know what, all the dishes worked out very well. I prefer the Merlot to the other reds, but, IMO, any freshly opened bottle of Two-Buck may be a better choice than a partially used bottle of some better wine that's been sitting around waiting to get used up.

... Shel

I am ashamed to admit that I use Better than Bouillon (the paste in a jar) a lot of the time now rather than making stock. I used to make stock frequently, but my husband got fed up with how time-consuming and labor-intensive it was and I need him to help with the heavy stock pot. So I tried a jar of Better than Bouillon. You know, considering the difference in labor it's pretty darn good!

And I don't like lamb. I always substitute beef for lamb, even in ethnic dishes that clearly call for lamb. I'm ashamed, but it's true.

And maybe once a year I eat a McDonald's hamburger. I'll go to hell for that I know.

I use Penzey's boullion paste instead of homemade stock. I make chicken stock a couple times a year - sometimes I even buy a chicken so that I can roast it and have the bones, but I don't really cook with stock all that much. And when I do, it is usally in a preparation that has so much else going on that my palate really can't tell the difference. I guess I could use water in those cases...

Popeye's makes the best fried chicken breast sandwich I have ever tasted.

McD's is great for on-the-road food that you eat in the car en route. (That's about the only time we eat there.) It's all eatable with just one hand, and they don't cover the sandwiches with shredded lettuce that then showers everywhere. When the fries are good, they're terrific, which is important in the car because we don't do ketchup or anything else for dipping. And when the fries are good, they're better than any other fries I've had except the ones you buy at the two carts outside the bell tower in Brugge...but McD's is a lot more accessible and less expensive here.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I can't compete with many of the entries here.

Ok, last week I ate a chocolate old fashioned dunkin donut when my brother pulled into a driveup window in a snow storm. And today I sampled a few fritos honey bbq twists. ( I didn't buy them and never would have) but by some odd circumstance they tasted ok.... hmm... ok, I'm shamed.

When I found this site I was under an illusion that the general populous was gormands and folks unchallenged by in large by the world of crappy foodstuffs. Oh woe.... things are rarely what they seem.

The burgers across the street at the bar are so much better than my own efforts, I've given in, and just go there when I need a cheeseburger (and Yuengling) fix.

Nasi_Campur, welcome to eGullet, and you can ignore the trashier stuff, we try to keep it on the downlow. :)

I don't care what they're actually made from...I love McDonald's chicken nuggets...

I thoroughly disapprove of duels...If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot...and kill him. ~Mark Twain

Biscuits from anywhere. Fast food breakfast sandwiches with biscuits are a special weakness, but I even like the tasteless biscuits from the cardboard rolls in the supermarket.

Cheezits or any cheese cracker. I never buy them for myself because . . . well, it gets ugly. But someone brought Goldfish crackers to a meeting yesterday and left them unattended . . . and they disappeared! :rolleyes: