• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

Others have mentioned canned peaches - yes, I like them with cottage cheese, with enough syrup that the cottage cheese curds are swimming. :rolleyes:

My mom used to serve this as a side dish. In a bowl lined with iceberg lettuce. With a dollop of mayo on top. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast, although I like a lighter syrup now (I've canned my own peach halves in a 10% syrup that is perfect), and leave off the mayo if it's early in the AM.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I just read through this thread and I am starving right now. All I want is a huge plate of white cheddar boxed mac & cheese, made with sour cream instead of milk & butter, and mixed with taco-seasoned ground beef. And a side of tater tots. Double-stuff Oreos for dessert! :wub:

Liz - That sour cream thing may be the most genius thing I've ever read. I can't believe I've never tried it before! I know what's for dinner tonight!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

oh me too, I have never had mac and cheese that way, but now it is a must try!

This thread is making me look at things I have not touched in years in a new light as well.

thought of another one, coffee mate creamers that come in liquid form, and are all different flavors, I think international coffees makes some as well...love them.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Others have mentioned canned peaches - yes, I like them with cottage cheese, with enough syrup that the cottage cheese curds are swimming. :rolleyes:

My mom used to serve this as a side dish. In a bowl lined with iceberg lettuce. With a dollop of mayo on top. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast, although I like a lighter syrup now (I've canned my own peach halves in a 10% syrup that is perfect), and leave off the mayo if it's early in the AM.

I never add mayo, but have discovered that a light dusting of freshly ground black pepper does wonders for the combination of flavors.

Some people think I am nuts for applying pepper to sweet fruits but some years ago a friend convinced me to try it on fresh, extra-ripe strawberries and I was hooked.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

:rolleyes: I've spent the last hour reading through all your messages. And loving every minute. :raz:

I have to have 6 Hershey's chocolate kisses every night after I get in bed. I place them on my chest to warm them till they get a little soft and eat them one by one. If I have some I'll also eat a black licorice twist first... letting each bite sort of melt before I chew and swallow it.

My grandkids love to eat marshmallow creme directly out of the jar and that's the first thing they look for when they come to my house. I only use it to make fudge with, and that's the truth.

Someone mentioned the I Hate to Cook book... I own a copy. Going to dig it out and see any recipes that strike my fancy.

I was shocked that my own son would put ketchup on a hot dog. So shocked that I had to question my wife regarding the boy's paternity. I almost insisted on a DNA test. For a brief time I thought perhaps John Edwards might be the father. With some tough love my wife and I were able to cure my son of his anti social behavior. He now only puts mustard on his hot dogs.

well said my friend, well said :)

I must also admit that I, just moments ago, ate a bowl of Quaker's "banana bread" microwave oatmeal-- which was prepared with 1&1/3 cups of water and later infused with 1/3cup of Starbucks Café Verona coffee.

It was supremely delicious, albeit out of character.

Funny the mention of sour cream to replace butter/milk in mac and cheese mixes....I do a spin of that with the kraft and/or velveta mac and cheeses (the ones with the silver envelope of gooey cheese, not the cheese powder like the kraft boxed mac and cheeses. With the kraft and/or velveta versions you are only meant to add the cheese (it's already gooey, no milk/butter needed or directed). But, so up the yummy/creamy factor, I use all the cheese sauce it comes with and add a few dallops of sour cream (has to be trader joes sour cream, the best version I have ever found...TRY IT). I add a bit of black pepper also. YUM! (I used to add dried onions...you know those little flakes in the spice area...but I have been out for a while and completely forgot. I love adding those, so now those are on my grocery list!). YUM!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I love Magic Shell. I know it's crap chocolate. I don't care. Sometimes when I'm in the mood for a chocolate bar, I just go buy a bottle of Magic Shell instead and eat it, head back, plastic bottle aloft, squeeze by squeeze.

In private.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Munchos.

Hamburger Helper Lasagne. Hahaha...made with organic local beef. Talk about dichotomy.

Hot dogs. I've tried healthy ones, I've tried organic one, I've tried all the ones I could find that were marginally healthier than regular hot dogs and I've decided, if I'm going to eat a hot dog, eat the Ball Park Beef and get over it, because nothing else is really the hot dog experience.

Frozen fries. Because if I wanted to make a potato dish requiring more than a few steps, two cooking processes and a day's worth of elapsed time, it wouldn't be fries.

Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Milky Way Midnight, and peanut M&M's.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

We eat hot dogs every now and then. Has to be all beef franks and charred. The buns have to be the cheap buns and heated. DH uses dijon mustard and dill relish. Ugh. I use French's yellow mustard...nothing else will do...and sweet pickle relish.

Chips have to be Kettle style, very crunch, as greasy as possible, with salt. No low salt stuff, thank you.

What a meal for near vegetarian, heavy on the raw vegetables, from scratch folks! :raz:

Just asked the DH and he said: Shopsy's All Beef Deli Franks.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Forget Ballpark. It's a mediocre hot dog. And hardly what I would consider the "hot dog experience". Forget healthy, organic, poultry, and non meat dogs. There are quality dogs out there made from whole cuts (not trimmings) of quality beef or beef and pork. They come with a natural casing and are made with a good blend of spices. Head and shoulders above what most people are exposed to.

John the hot dog guy

...if I'm going to eat a hot dog, eat the Ball Park Beef and get over it, because nothing else is really the hot dog experience.

That's what this thread is about, isn't it? If you like the taste of something, you like the taste of something, and you shouldn't feel ashamed of it. Have you begun your recovery program yet? Go out to buy your favorite hot dogs, and eat 'em! Happily.

Chips have to be Kettle style, very crunch, as greasy as possible, with salt. No low salt stuff, thank you.

Yeah. Whenever I see low-salt chips at the store I ask myself, why do those mfgrs think I eat chips anyway? For the taste of potato??

In my house the hot dogs are Kayem, period. My 7 year old won't eat any other brand, and yes he can tell the difference. (He will, however, condescend to eat Kayem's natural casing variety once in a while. But not the all-beef ones.) Fortunately, they're better than the other brands available around here, so I don't mind.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Kayem's are very good; it's what I have when I go to Maine. Around where I live, Thumann's makes a delicious German style beef and pork dog. Best's out of Newark is my choice for an all beef dog. Every once in awhile I send away for Usinger's angus beef franks from Milwaukee.

John the hot dog guy

Post #2 here, guess I'm off to a good start...

--Cheese flavored Chex Mix. A road trip wouldn't be complete without it. Solo, anyway - won't admit that guilty pleasure to most people.

--I really don't mind starting the day with a cup of instant coffee. There's the whole benefit of less stuff to wash and time to take versus using a French press. Having said that, I'm sure Bodum is enroute to my house right now to repossess their fine piece of equipment.

--Most of the story is in the "this can't be my life, how'd I get here?" category, but I was able to try Foie Gras twice last summer. In France. In pretty high-level situations. I was told it was very, very good which I would have assumed anyway based on the places we were. I looked for a cocktail napkin and a discreet moment...

I thought of one more thing.

I love making my own BBQ sauce and have come up with some interesting recipes. Figuring out great combinations of spices, juices, and vegetables is a great hobby.

So what do I do if I'm too lazy? I reach for the Cookie's. :D

I think that was a childhood thing that I still can't get enough of. It was all my dad used to buy. I grew up with it, and so I get the craving for it now and again...especially on chicken nuggets.

I remembered another one.

There is apparently a huge market for frozen pizzas with rising crust and gourmet varieties, etc... But it is frozen pizza, how good can it really be anyway? That is why when I go for a frozen pizza, my favorite is Tony's Original Thin Crust Cheese. There is just something about that flat, sort of tough crust and bland cheese that I just love. I can eat a whole one in one sitting without blinking.

:huh:

*ahem*... I LIKE ketchup on my hotdogs. Also mustard. AND onions. Not relish so much.

So there.

There is help available....

I didn't think there was room for such a high horse in a discussion about the Hall of Shame for food. :wink:

That being said, I, too, consume hot dogs with ketchup on them. So there...

I have also been known to add tuna to my blue box mac and cheese and once in a rare while will get a hankering for those horrendous tamales in a can and eat every last one of them. :shock::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We eat hot dogs every now and then. Has to be all beef franks and charred. The buns have to be the cheap buns and heated. DH uses dijon mustard and dill relish. Ugh. I use French's yellow mustard...nothing else will do...and sweet pickle relish.

I have recently rediscovered my love for hot dogs. Love them charred and the bun needs to be New England style with the split at the top and toasted on the grill or in the oven. Kosciusko (sp?) mustard, heinz pickle relish and BaTample sauerkraut.