• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet Hall of Shame

I love canned peas. But ONLY Le Sueur Very Young Small Early Peas. I may or may not by them by the case at Costco.

(Snip)

Ooohh. Me too! And my favorite way of consuming them is mixed with ersatz mashed potatoes, made from the bulk potato flakes I keep on hand. I should have mentioned the latter also for my secret shame for quickly thickening things that need it and I want instant results without the additional fat in beurre manie.

I used to use another brand of potato flakes but they changed the formula so that the results were somewhat grainy and about that time I discovered the bulk stuff at Winco and have been using that ever since.

These particular peas are also great in salads, simply rinsed and drained and I also puree them with onions, garlic, oregano and walnuts to toss with pasta.

I haven't yet purchased them by the case but usually six at a time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Once I ate a raw oyster and, well, never again. Even that time I wouldn't let it touch my tongue on the way down.

I love Kraft Dinner. I could probably eat two whole boxes if I let myself. But I won't because I do have some self respect.

I love onion dip made with Lipton's onion soup mix and sour cream. I could eat it with a spoon - but it's better with potato chips because then there's even MORE salt.

Liptons Chicken Noodle Soup from a package. Especially when I'm feeling sick. Maybe it's the salt again. Sometimes I'll even lick the powder off my finger.

My homemade stock/broth is tasteless and terrible and I will purchase stock in a carton while the bland liquid that I made sits in my freezer. Sometimes I use it if I'm making a big batch of soup, but even then I supplement with the stuff in the box.

Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets, with honey mustard. (I like McD's fries, too, but only if they are too hot to eat when I get them. As soon as they cool off, I am done.)

Cheetos.

Packaged French Onion Dip and Tostitos.

I like milk chocolate better than dark.

*slinking away in shame*

sparrowgrass

Welcome, Paula E. Looks like you fit right in!

hmm- shame? Not sure.

hot dogs stuffed w cheese, wrapped in pillsbury crecsent roll dough, and baked.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

My name is Peter, and I buy elbow noodles and cheese powder separately in bulk so I can make my own Kraft dinner in the quantity and concentration I choose. As I student years ago, I learned how to break free from the 225-grams-pasta-one-cheesy-pouch cycle of tyranny.

Oh

My

Gosh

this is brilliant.

In his book, Jacques Pepin says that when he first came to the USA one of the things he loved were Oreos and that he loves them to this day. So, it seems we are all in very good company.

I believe Michael Ruhlman mentions in his book "The Reach of A Chef" that Masa (the sushi master)has a thing for Krispy Kreme donuts. Even the great ones are people, too. :biggrin:

Damn y'all! It's 10:15 pm and I'm jonesing for some tater tots! There's a bag in the freezer (actually Crispy Crowns)... Is it too late to turn on the oven?

Don't do it!!! Crispy Crowns are NOT the same, as I wrote at length to Ore-Ida (they sent me a bunch of coupons). Wrong shape and proportion of crunchy surface to soft middle. And I always bake them way longer than the instructions say, for extra crispiness.

Looking for the next delicious new taste...

I love Tater Tots, with ketchup.

Hie thee to the discussion: The Tater Tot Topic

:laugh:

175 posts??? Guess it's not THAT weird to like them.

Oh, and Crispy Crowns are more blandly seasoned than Tater Tots. Of course, if you're dipping them into Sriracha sauce that would matter less.

Looking for the next delicious new taste...

Canned peas are especially good with a decent sized glug of Cross and Blackwell mint sauce on them.

Another combination I always quite enjoyed and should probably be ashamed of is instant mashed potatoes (haven't made any since McCain stopped making their brand though), topped with either canned or frozen peas and some form of gravy - sometimes even the stuff from a package if desperate.

I was excited to find a TGIFriday's, because I knew they would have bad, greasy, American food. I couldn't wait for the bacon-cheese fries, and...they were awful. Such a letdown.

That reminds me of when I was visiting a friend in California a few years back, and I made him stop at a Jack in the Box. I hadn't seen an open one since I was a kid, since I live on the east coast. Let's just say that some childhood memories are really, really better off left undisturbed.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Damn y'all! It's 10:15 pm and I'm jonesing for some tater tots! There's a bag in the freezer (actually Crispy Crowns)... Is it too late to turn on the oven?

Don't do it!!! Crispy Crowns are NOT the same, as I wrote at length to Ore-Ida (they sent me a bunch of coupons). Wrong shape and proportion of crunchy surface to soft middle. And I always bake them way longer than the instructions say, for extra crispiness.

I should have mentioned this too. I try to be so virtuous but even at my age (70) I fall into shameful eating habits from time to time.

I bake TaterTots until they are brown and crunchy - I have found that spraying them with butter-flavored cooking spray (I really have no shame at all!) helps to increase the flavor and the crunch.

While anointing them with ketchup is okay, my favorite is the chili sauce in the squat round jar. Sometimes with a dab of freshly mixed Colman's mustard swirled into it.

While I can no longer handle the really hot stuff, I do like Pace's Chunky Salsa (Medium) with a judicious dollop of sour cream with the organic white corn chips from Trader Joe's. If I don't want to make the trek to TJ's, I will settle for Mission Corn Strips.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Every morning we are at home, we drink 100% Kona coffee, not just any old bean, the creme de la creme the Peabody Special Reserve. I buy the whole bean and grind myself. We put a packet of Nestles non-fat, 20 calorie hot chocolate, a few mini marshmallows (around Halloween multi colored left over from candy bag) then top it all of with Coffee Mate.

I'm sorry I've been laughing about this for like 10 minutes. Er, because...me too. We buy all this high end coffee, always whole bean. Usually we get it in bulk from a farm market. We have a French press, or a drip pot, or a percolator, depending on our mood. The coffee ritual is VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS! Till I dump two Sweet N Lows, and a pile of Coffeemate into it. :wub:

I've also gone the instant cocoa route. In fact, that was my breakfast of choice for about 6 months straight. A cream cheese bagel, and a cup of instant cocoa/Coffeemate/expensive friggin coffee.

I just like non-dairy creamer. The powdered kind, not the liquid stuff. It's less rich, or something, and sweeter? I don't know, don't ask me to explain it. Regular milk makes coffee taste like dishwater, light cream turns it into dessert, and half and half is good, but kinda rich, for my daily cup.

Munchos. Tasty fat in a crispy curly wafer. I've heard there is some form of potato in these as well, but it might just be a vicious rumor.

Oh, but we love Munchos. Nothing shameful there.

I just read through this thread and I am starving right now. All I want is a huge plate of white cheddar boxed mac & cheese, made with sour cream instead of milk & butter, and mixed with taco-seasoned ground beef. And a side of tater tots. Double-stuff Oreos for dessert! :wub:

Munchos. Tasty fat in a crispy curly wafer. I've heard there is some form of potato in these as well, but it might just be a vicious rumor.

Oh, but we love Munchos. Nothing shameful there.

Wow. I really have come home!

(little sniff of happiness here)

Must get some Munchos to celebrate, now that I'm completely craving them.

Thanks for the link and the welcome, JAZ.

I bake a lot of goodies but I never eat them myself. Sugar has a weird aftertaste to me; I prefer artificial sweetener in my tea.

But I could eat those cool chocolate oranges that break apart into segments (Trader Joe's are good) until the cows come home - apparently the orange flavor masks the sugar aftertaste.

And another vote for Two Buck Chuck. I do enjoy a really good wine when I can get it, but for every day, I'm fine with the Chuck.

Now that I'm no longer pregnant, I think I'll join in on the PMS thread myself. Because...

Today I ordered my guiltiest pleasure which has already been mentioned: two cheeseburgers from McDonald's. Hold the ketchup and mustard. Add Mac sauce and lettuce.

Heaven.

I used to get a Big Mac with extra cheese...but I found that I prefer the two cheeseburger route. Always best with a medium Coke (I haven't had regular soda in about 3 weeks now...I figure I can have just the one).

Right now I feel like going out and getting some tater tots...but it's icy. And snowy. And icky. And I have the stuff to make yet another shameful dish:

Take 1/2 a pound of pasta of your choice (today I'm using wheels since I'm sure my toddler will adore me for it) and boil it in water until done. Mix in 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of milk, 3/4 of a bag of sharp shredded cheddar, and half a bag of frozen carrots and peas. Salt and pepper to taste. Put in a casserole dish. Then melt a couple tablespoons of butter and with a combination of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese from that convenient Kraft can. Sprinkle casserole with reserved cheese and then the bread crumbs. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about a half hour. Uncover and bake until bread crumbs are brown, about another 15 minutes.

I sometimes use cream of mushroom instead of chicken. I sometimes throw chicken into the dish. I sometimes mix up the cheese I throw in. I sometimes use a white sauce instead of the canned soup. The entire dish can revolve around how lazy you prefer to be.

I've eaten it since I was a child and always loved it. But, yeah, this is the eGullet Society and I'm just slightly ashamed to admit it.

Got one more shame to add....

Margarine.

I use it on toast & sandwiches. I have no good reason to use margarine - I don't like the taste better than butter, I know it's not really good for you, and I'm not lactose intolerant. I don't even cook with margarine (except sometimes for grilled cheese sandwiches). I am simply cannot be bothered to wait for the butter to soften up to spreadable consistency.

That's what Lurpak Spreadable is for (although I prefer the unsalted one)! While I love real, cultured butter on my rye bread, this stuff is pretty close.