• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's Mac Wrap

Chris Hennes

I must admit, I like the Big Mac. Now, McD's has introduced a new wrap-thingy based on the Big Mac. Annoying website here (warning, audio...). Something about the idea seems vaguely disgusting, even to me. A McD's burger wrapped in a tortilla? No thanks. Your thoughts?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I actually had one of these today! I, too, like an occasional Big Mac, but since having gastric bypass surgery, I can't even finish half of one. So I thought this might be a good idea for me. They have all the regular Big Mac stuff - one patty, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion, but no sesame seed bun :laugh: . It was...ok. I would prefer a Big Mac minus one patty, one slice of cheese and the middle bun slice, but this was a pretty good substitute for a junky treat I've missed.

I would prefer a Big Mac minus one patty, one slice of cheese and the middle bun slice, but this was a pretty good substitute for a junky treat I've missed.

Then do what I do, order a cheesburger add shredded lettuce and mac sauce. It usually doesn't cost any extra, I like to do this with a McDouble, I call it the "Ghetto Mac".

On topic: the mac wrap scares me.

Kim, did the wrap come across as greasy (or I should say, greasier than the bun version)? I think my concern is related to the ability of the dry bun to absorb some of that grease, which would just kinda dribble off the tortilla.

Mine didn't seem greasy, but the sauce is a little drippy for the same reason: without the bun, it doesn't have anywhere to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not tried the new wrap but I will say that their creepy ad campaign is extremely unappetizing. The concept of having people talk about/to the wrap as if it is a hot guy or gal juxtaposed with pictures that do the product no favors makes me wonder what the heck the marketing people were thinking.

I'm waiting for the shelf-stable packets of Big Mac puree, the ultimate in burger delivery systems.

Just a quick side note- I have a friend who once brought blended-up Big Mac to a fancy party and served it with crackers, calling it a pate. It was a hit. :biggrin:

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

Drove past a billboard today- what were they thinking? It looked so naked and sad. I discussed it with some teens who are "fast food experts" and they agreed that it was slimy and there were much better things to be had for the same price.

A Hamburger Today posted a mini-review of all the McD's Snack Wraps today and came to the not-so-surprising conclusion that the "Mac Wrap" is the worst of the lot. I don't mind the two chicken wraps myself, though I'm definitely more of a QPC guy, but I think I'll continue to avoid the Big Mac Minus The Bun thing they've developed here. What kind of focus group got them to think this was a good idea?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

...What kind of focus group got them to think this was a good idea?

I think it's the Taco Bell Syndrome. Reconfigure the usual ingredients you have on hand into something different and call it "new". Sometimes it works...but not in this instance.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...