• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for leisurly, long, luxurious tasting menu

Smokelaw1

Hey all....just wanted to post an update to the OP. My wife did some searching on line about the restaurants I always talk about, and found this thread!!! I think she felt bad about not taking full part in the thing I enjoy, and likened going to JG and ordering just one or two things while I get a tasting to going to a concert with her (**shudder***def leppard) and staying seated, or not getting a soak and a foot rub along with some tea at her favoite little spot. So....we are going to JG next Saturday night, and she will be ordering the tasting menu along with me. She does not eat meat, and we will likely ask for some dishes to accomidate that request (anyone know if they'd prefer us to call and give them a heads up?) and will "share" any dishes that she does not care for!

What a woman! If you're reading this agin....I love you babe!!

Thanks for all the advice.

When I went to Jean-Georges a number a years ago, they had no problem accomodating my dietary requests. The server asked before we ordered the tasting menu if any of us had any sensitivities an allergies, and all mine were accomodated with no problem and no notice. I do not eat citrus, but can usually tolerate cooked citrus and when I tried a bite of something served to my boyfriend that had citrus in it, the server, not our waiter noticed me taking a bite cautioned me that it had citrus in it. Note, I took a bite without the citrus sauce so felt secure in trying a taste. What I'm trying to say is that I was extremely impressed that not just the waiter, but everyone who was serving our table knew of my food restrictions.

I am also sure that at all times, they have a vegetarian tasting menu and could with no problem accomodate your wife not eating meat.

As suggested upthread, I think Corton may be the place for you, too. Great food, and they're not as picky on dress code. Another way to go might be to check out EMP or The Modern.

Thank you Vivan and LP, I have reservations now at Croton also. I'm seeing Bob during our monthly poker game Friday night and will ask him which of the two he thinks would should go. I'l cancel the other one and make a point to try the one we don't go to, another time.

Corton it was and it was excellent. We both opted for the 3 course and with the comp offerings it was really a like a 7 course. The food was very fine, the service was as good as it gets.

The only regret I have, is, I did not get enough fresh winter black truffle shaved on my scallops and it was not as pungent as I thought it would be. However, I have only had white truffle at Le Meurice (had in November 08 and the shavings were 1/2" high) to compare too, so it is really not an educated comment.

Highly recommended. I also loved being able to see into the kitchen, they have the entire top 1/4 length of the wall of the dining room/kitchen glassed.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Thank you all for your advice. My wife and I went to JG on saturday night, and it was wonderful. I ordered the chef's tasting, and hse ordered the winter tasting, where they replaced two courses, the lanb and another I can't recall. One was replaced with a lovely COd dish, the other with a butternut squash soup off the fixe menu. She said it was the greates soup she ahs ever had. Overall, she enjoyed th emeal immesurably more than Per Se (which, you may recall, she rated "mostly inedible.")

I did, as hoped, get to eat or at least taste, every course, so I have essentially a 14 course meal (7 full and 7 amounts from "this is good tast it" through "this is gross, eat it.")

She commented on all the little things that Per Se does better, and doesn't even seem to be AS completely opposed to a return trip there some day.