• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy Rock Shrimp in London?

I meant rock shrimp...

Well, at least I don't have to make any Rick Stein own-brand jokes!

However, as a Brit, I know not of 'rock shrimp'.

If you are seeking tiny and tasty shrimp, ask for "Brown Shrimp" -- which are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to what are called "Brown Shrimp" in the US of A.

British brown shrimp aren't too hard to find at decent fish shops.

They are more widely sold, cooked and prepared in butter, as "potted shrimp".

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Yes David that's what I'm after and not brown shrimp (but thanks anyway Dougal! :smile::) )

They do serve it in a few Japanese restaurants in London but I pretty much figured I wouldn't be able to get hold of any...

Do you dine at any of the restaurants?

Some chefs are really helpful to their customers, I would be tempted to make a phone call or two.

Worst they can say is no :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

If they are available anywhere, I'd expect it to be at Billingsgate.

Its open to the public, and the car park is free.

But you'd probably need to be there soon after 5 am ...

http://london.openguides.org/wiki/?Billingsgate_Market

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're going to struggle. Never seen rock shrimp on sale retail in this country.

As mentioned some restos sell it. Nobu certainly do their rock shrimp tempura in London, but I don't know where they get supplies.

I would suggest substituting them with langoustines, although unfortunately they will cost you an arm and a leg. They both curl to the same more ball-like shape than prawn and I think the flavour will be similar slightly sweeter. Seewoo in greenwich normally have live langoustine. Premier Seafoods Vauxhall way might be another supplier worth trying.

Ideally what you'd do is get your hands on smaller langoustines (the ones which go into breaded scampi) which aren't as highly prized. Unfortunately I think all production seems to go straight to trade; never seen smaller ones available for retail.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!