• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I arrived home to a message from a local foodie insider...Thomas Keller will be opening a restaurant here in Las Vegas in the Venetian in April. I don't have any details yet...but will be at a Beard dinner here Monday night (and am sitting with some other restaunateurs from the Venetian)...I am sure that will be a topic of conversation!

Only on the square, Steve -- I'm well aware that Keller is the flavor of the moment, but the economy is famously tight and restaurants of any kind are famously expensive to run, let alone high-end places like the one for which Keller is most known. If I had major money to invest, that wouldn't be the place I'd put it.

Then again, Vegas is known for gambling...

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 1 month later...

Rat made an excellent point, especially as regards someone like Keller. My impression is that his success is due to his physical presence in the kitchen, to make sure that his staff executes precisely as he wants. How long does it take someone like him to train his staff to the point where he's comfortable leaving them on their own? How does he make sure that the person(s) he hires as his surrogate can become his clone? I mean, there's more to his cooking than just a combination of ingredients, philosophy, and technique. Those can be bought and learned; but how does he ensure that that je ne sais quoi that makes him what he is can be duplicated?

For once, I might agree with Steve P. that I wouldn't want to eat at the NYC or LV "branch" unless I knew for sure that Keller would be there that night. :wink:

However, Suzanne, Keller's oft-stated goal at the French Laundry is for it to become a style and an institution that will continue after he is gone. I've noticed that he continuously emphasizes the restaurant and the kitchen rather than himself. And that he has been disappearing into the kitchen, spending most of his life and time there. Perhaps he is now trying to disappear from being in any particular kitchen.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 weeks later...
However, Suzanne, Keller's oft-stated goal at the French Laundry is for it to become a style and an institution that will continue after he is gone. I've noticed that he continuously emphasizes the restaurant and the kitchen rather than himself. And that he has been disappearing into the kitchen, spending most of his life and time there. Perhaps he is now trying to disappear from being in any particular kitchen.

I was just out at The French Laundry Dec. 3rd and talked to his waiters about the New York outlet....They laughed about it, he doesn't even have the keys to the place yet. His brother already has a restaurant in LV. Joseph Keller is the chef of Josef's Steakhouse. Keller's NOT going to LV in this lifetime.

His brother already has a restaurant in LV.  Joseph Keller is the chef of Josef's Steakhouse.  Keller's NOT going to LV in this lifetime.

Is this the Josef's in the Aladdin which is reported to be closing?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Chef/Writer Spencer...the people at the Venetian here in LV would disagree with you...Keller is coming...it will not be a French Laundry though...

Josef Keller was here at the Aladdin...Josef's Brasserie has closed..it was at best a mediocre place to dine...at worst...it was awful...do you see a pattern developing here...Thomas will have a restaurant here. ANd my guess is Josef will oversee it...much like the situation when he opened Bouchon in Yountville.

Chef/Writer Spencer...the people at the Venetian here in LV would disagree with you...Keller is coming...it will not be a French Laundry though...

Josef Keller was here at the Aladdin...Josef's Brasserie has closed..it was at best a mediocre place to dine...at worst...it was awful...do you see a pattern developing here...Thomas will have a restaurant here. ANd my guess is Josef will oversee it...much like the situation when he opened Bouchon in Yountville.

Well I guess you may be on to something then. But I tell you what if Thomas Keller associates himself with Las VEgas I'm quitting the biz and taking up cotton farming. He doesn't strike me (from meeting him) to be a dog and pony show kind of chef. That title is reserved for guys like Todd English and Sirio Maccioni. Keller has been taunting the New York chefs for three years about opening the New York spot but it's not happening at least until 2004--that's on good word from FL staff. With his legs giving out and proported interest in bowing out of the day to day activities of running a kitchen I can't see him selling his ass like that. It'll be a sad day for me. Let's hope if it's true that he reconsiders. He needs to let his brother flounder around and find himself not pull him out of bad situation af ter bad situation.

The AOL/CNN Center in NY is now looking at a "late 2003" opening, so early 2004 is probably not a bad bet for Restaurant Row

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Keller has been taunting the New York chefs for three years about opening the New York spot .....

He needs to let his brother flounder around and find himself not pull him out of bad situation af ter bad situation.

What's wrong with Keller wanting to better the LV cuisine scene? Like he wants to do in NY? I'd admire him for trying. :smile:

And that fact he helps is brother is really a family issue. Blood is blood, right? I wouldn't fault him for that either. :wink:

I for one can't wait to get out to LV and partake of all the food, sites, girls, and gambling.

Keller has been taunting the New York chefs for three years about opening the New York spot .....

He needs to let his brother flounder around and find himself not pull him out of bad situation af ter bad situation.

What's wrong with Keller wanting to better the LV cuisine scene? Like he wants to do in NY? I'd admire him for trying. :smile:

And that fact he helps is brother is really a family issue. Blood is blood, right? I wouldn't fault him for that either. :wink:

I for one can't wait to get out to LV and partake of all the food, sites, girls, and gambling.

I dont think any of these big names are really trying to better the scene. If Keller's going there I think he's seeing green. It'd be nice to think that these guys are trying to make the world a better place to eat but when it's vegas it means only one thing---cash money... Keller's my idol, if that word can best describe it, but the thought of eating his food as I watch lost souls losing their ass is troubling. Let's watch this one progress my friends. I'm betting the slag he gets will make him think twice.

As for nepitism...I agree with you.

Well, at least TK will be in good company...Jean George and Julian Serrano are already here (and Wolgang Puck, Michael Mina, Alex Stratta, Emeril, Kerry Simon, Mark Miller, Piero Selvaggio, Nobu, Charlie Palmer, Joachim Splichal)spring 2003 adds Bradley Ogden...coming in 2004...a collaboration between the Macciones (sp) and Alain Ducasse at the Bellagio...2005- Daniel Boulud at Le Reve.

Don't think too badly of someone who has earned the right to be offered the kind of green these guys will get. They worked their butts off to get to the level that offers this kind of opportunity. It can also afford them the opportunity to improve their other restaurants and explore other projects they might otherwise reject without the cash infusion...Las Vegas is (to say the least) a unique situation. People who might otherwise have no opportunity to try one of these chefs' restaurants can do so here (whether they can't afford to travel and stay in NYC or SF, get a reservation-i.e.FL or whatever). Granted, they are for the most part, mere shadows of the flagships, and most of the time THE chef is not in the house...but to many people just being able to say they ate in Chef X's restaurant is exciting enough.

They have bettered the food scene here. Before Wolfgang Puck came to town, the only places to eat were the hotel pseudo gourmet rooms which served either steak or 1960's style "French"..Las Vegas is not at the level of NYC or SF because the know they don't have to be. But with each new superchef's arrival, things notch up a bit more and the bar is raised...there is only so much tourist money available...and some of the restauranteurs and chefs are learning that the local clientele is very valuable (the Maccioni brothers just opened "Tre" on the NW side of town and are going great guns. Until the bubble bursts (and it is not showing any signs of doing so in the immediate future) Las Vegas is the land of culinary opportunity.

And, Nepotism Rules :biggrin: !

Rat made an excellent point, especially as regards someone like Keller.  My impression is that his success is due to his physical presence in the kitchen, to make sure that his staff executes precisely as he wants.  How long does it take someone like him to train his staff to the point where he's comfortable leaving them on their own?  How does he make sure that the person(s) he hires as his surrogate can become his clone?  I mean, there's more to his cooking than just a combination of ingredients, philosophy, and technique.  Those can be bought and learned; but how does he ensure that that je ne sais quoi that makes him what he is can be duplicated?

For once, I might agree with Steve P. that I wouldn't want to eat at the NYC or LV "branch" unless I knew for sure that Keller would be there that night.  :wink:

Hey, mom. How about if I became his sous over there? Then would you come to eat at the restaurant?

Cabrales..Columnist Norm Clarke of the Las Vegas Review Journal wrote the followin on Oct. 21, 2002:

"Another wave of world-class fine dining is on its way to Las Vegas.

Alain Ducasse, acclaimed by many of his peers as the world's leading chef, was in Las Vegas this weekend, reviewing plans to partner with Le Cirque's Sirio Maccioni on a French Bistro in the expansion tower at Bellagio....

As mentioned here on Sunday, star chef Daniel Boulud of New York told local chefs he is opening a 280 seat version of his New York CIty hit restaurant, Daniel, at Le Reve, Steve Wynn's new project at the former Desert Inn.

Tao, a sister establishment of the same name nightspot-eatery in New York City, is opening at the Venetian next year."

The Bellagio expansion is due to be finished in either late 2003 or early 2004.

Edit to add: When asking about the reliability of this info...I did not include Tao in the query.

I asked a couple of people who would know if this info was reliable..and they confirmed it at the time.

Edited by southern girl (log)
  • 3 months later...
  • Similar Content

• By PedroG
      Olla podrida sous vide
      Origin
      Not rotten pot, but mighty or rich pot! Originated in 16th century Spain, olla poderida became olla podrida and was falsely translated into French as pot-pourri.
      Ingredients
      For two servings
      * 100g Brisket well marbled, cooked SV 48h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Pork meat well marbled, cooked SV 24h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Lamb chops without bone, cooked SV 4h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chicken breast, cooked SV 2h/58°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chorizo, sliced approximately 4mm †
      * 125g Chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight in water †
      * 1 Onion chopped medium-fine †
      * ½ Savoy cabbage approx. 200g cut into pieces, thick leaf veins removed
      * ½ Celeriac approx. 200g quartered, sliced about 2mm
      * 2 Carrots sliced approximately 120g about 3mm
      * 1 Leek approximately 20cm / 100g sliced about 5mm
      * Extra virgin olive oil
      * Rice bran oil
      * Dried parsley qs, aromatic, black pepper
      † Beef, pork, lamb and chicken (or at least two kinds of meat) as well as chorizo, chickpeas and onions are mandatory ingredients, other vegetables vary according to desire and availability.
      Cooking
      Boil chickpeas in water for 30-60 min.
      Sauté onions in olive oil, add chorizo, continue sautéing, add chickpeas including its cooking water, add remaining vegetables, cover and cook to the desired softness, stir from time to time. If additional liquid is needed, you may add Sherry instead of water.
      Reduce heat. Season to taste. Add parsley.
      In a heavy skillet, sear the meat dice in just smoking hot rice bran oil (very high smoking point allows very quick sear, not overdoing the center of the meat).
      Sear one kind of meat at a time and transfer to the pan with the vegetables.
    • By Chef Hermes Blog
      Warm Onion Bavarois
      * 300g Sweet Onion purée
      * 250g Whole milk
      * 150g Whipping cream
      * 150g Chicken stock (or fresh vegetable nage, not stock cubes)
      * 3.5g Gellan gum
      * Seasoning
      Lightly grease with vegetable oil the moulds you intend to use (darioles, ramekins etc) and set to one side.
      In a pan (but not on the heat), whisk together all the ingredients.
      Place on a medium heat and whisk continuously, the mix will start to thicken slightly. Carry on whisking for a further 3-4 minutes when it has started to bubble. Then quickly pour into the greased moulds & chill.
      To reheat for serving, just place the ramekin in a pan of water and simmer gently for 8-10 mins.
    • By swpeterson
      I have been buying country style bone-in ribs instead of bone-in pork chops. I season them with a rub very similar to Emeril's Rustic Rub spice rub and use a heaping tablespoon a rendered Nueskie's Applewood smoked bacon fat in the Food Saver vacumn bag. We have been using 2 ribs in the bag but have made the decision to switch to one to split. The meat is so rich and flavorful that we can easily split one and enjoy the meal even more.
      For a sauce, I cobbled together a sauce made with the juice of half a valencia orange, the pulp from 1 passion fruit, 1 cup pitted cherries (I used rainiers and bings in this one), 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 cup white wine, juice from 1 lime, 2 tsp honey, garlic cloves crushed (I used roasted garlic that I keep in the fridge and 'crushed' them in my 'special' coffee grinder(2)) and 1 medium sized shallot. I used the same bacon fat to soften the shallots, then added the rest of the ingredients and let it reduce by about a third and then let it rest and reheated it when the pork ribs were done.
      I kept them in the sous vide at 141 from 10:00 AM until I got home from work at 7:00. It took another half hour +/- to change clothes, pour a glass of wine, reheat the sauce, make a salad, and heat up the garlic bread that I keep prepped in the freezer. After the bread was heated for about 8 minutes, I switched the oven to broil and took the bread out of the oven.
      I have started to experiment with using the broiler element to put color on the proteins that I have cooked in the sous vide. I have placed the oven rack on the third rack from the top, leave the door ajar while I bring the broiler element up to heat. I use my 10" stainless steel saute pan with a stainless steel rack in the pan for the protein. I open the sous vide package and pour the liquid that has accumulated in the bag into the bottom of the pan. I put the ribs, fattest side up on the rack and place the pan in the oven. I leave the door ajar and let them stay in there for 8 mnutes.
      That timing has worked extremely well for both the ribs and the chicken that I have done. I don't flip them yet and that hasn't been necessary for those 2 proteins. (I was much less successful with this formula for the flank steak which I think needs to be closer the heat source for less time).
      At any rate, the broiler is working well for color and the meat and sauce are great. The sauce also works very well with chicken. Haven't tried it yet with the salmon.
      Just wanted to share as I really love this sous vide thing and wanted to share.
      Sorry no photos yet. I haven't figured that part out yet but my husband promises to teach me.
    • By PedroG
      Utilization of meat leftovers from sous-vide cooking
      Sometimes when you buy a nice cut of meat, your eyes are bigger than your and your beloved's stomach. So what to do with the leftovers?
      In Tyrolia (Austria) they make a "Gröstl", in Solothurn (Switzerland) they make a "Gnusch", in the Seftigenamt (a region in the Swiss canton Berne) they make a "Gmüder", and we (Pedro and SWAMBO) make a varying concoct using ideas from all of the three. We call it "Gröstl", but it is not necessarily a typical Tyrolean Gröstl, and it is different each time, and we usually do not top it with a fried egg as they do in Austria.
      Ingredients

All your meat leftovers
      Onion (compulsory)
      Any hard vegetable (we prefer celery stalks, or zucchini)
      Any salad (iceberg lettuce or endive/chicory or any other salad leaves, may contain carrot julienne)
      Fried potatoes, or alternatively sweetcorn kernels
      Sherry or wine or bouillon or the gravy you preserved from your last LTLT.cooked meat for simmering (I usually prefer Sherry)
      Eventually some cream (or crème fraîche)
      Salt, pepper, parsley, caraway seeds (typical for Tyrolean Gröstl), paprika, condiment (in Switzerland we use "Aromat" by Knorr, which contains sodium chloride, sodium glutamate, lactose, starch, yeast extract, vegetable fats, onions, spices, E552)'
      vegetable oil (I prefer olive oil)

Mise en place

cut your meat in small cubes or slices
      cut the onion(s) not too fine (place the first cut below your tongue to avoid tearing during cutting)
      cut the vegetables about 3-4 mm thick
      cut the salads to pieces smaller than 4 cm, distribute on the cutting board and season deliberately
      cut the potatoes to 1 cm cubes
      place 3 heavy skillets with ample oil on the stove

Cooking

in skillet 1, stir-fry the onions, add the hard vegetables still stir-frying, add salad, add sufficient liquid (Sherry or wine or bouillon or gravy) for simmering under a cover until soft. If desired, reduce heat and add some cream at the end.
      in skillet 2, stir-fry the potatoes until soft (in case of sweetcorn kernels, add to skillet 1 after stir-frying and use skillet 2 for skillet 3)
      in skillet 3, as soon as the vegetables and the potatoes are soft, sear the meat in just smoking oil for 30-60 seconds, then add to skillet 1

Serving
      You may mix the potatoes with the vegetables and meat to make a rather typical Gröstl, or serve the fried potatoes separately; we prefer the latter, as the potatoes stay more crunchy.
      Do not forget to serve a glass of good dry red wine!
    • By PedroG
      Brisket „Stroganoff“ Sous Vide With Mixed Mushrooms

Ingredients for 2 servings
      about 400g well marbled Brisket
      3 tablespoons rice bran oil or other high smoke point oil (grapeseed oil)
      3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
      3 tablespoons Cognac (brandy)
      2 small onions, finely diced
      ½ yellow or red bell peppers cut into strips
      90 g mixed mushrooms
      100 ml of gravy from last Brisket (or concentrated stock)
      1 teaspoon mustard, Dijon type
      1 teaspoon paprika mild (not spicy!)
      1 medium pickled cucumber cut into thin strips
      2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
      approx. 120g sour cream with herbs
      Sous Vide - cooking
      Marinate brisket with Mexican style (medium hot) marinade in the vacuum bag for at least 3 days at 1 ° C, cook sous vide 48 hours at 55.0 ° C.
      Preparing the sauce
      At a moderate heat sauté onions in olive oil, add peppers (preblanched in the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes) and mushroom mixture, stir-fry, remove from heat and add the gravy. Add pickled cucumber, pepper, mustard and cognac. Put on very low heat, add sour cream and keep warm, but do not boil as the cream will separate. Remove the brisket from the bag, cut into strips (about 8x10x35mm), sear very quickly in smoking-hot rice bran oil, add the meat and the parsley to the sauce.
      Serving
      Serve on warmed plates. Typically served with spätzle (south German) or chnöpfli (Swiss).
      And don't forget a glass of good red wine!
      Enjoy your meal!
      Pedro