• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staging at a 4 star NYC restaurant

Sher.eats

Hi everyone, I'm from Hong Kong, and will be staging at a 4 star restaurant in NYC in late January.

I've done one day "stages" at Robuchon a Galera (Macau, 3 michelin stars), but they were arranged by l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon where I was cooking then. This time my current restaurant in HK has no connection with the NYC restaurant, and I arrange the stage myself.

- Taking notes/photos (not for publishing)

Is that commonly done/not done?

- Working hours

Do I arrive on time or an hour before? When Chef says I can go can I stay and watch?

- Taste testing

Cooks should always taste (within reason), but can a cook staging taste (within reason)?

- Equipment

Apart from my knives, anything else I should bring?

- Asking questions

Is generally a good thing (within reason), but there must be some stuff which they want to keep secret and not tell me (totally fine with that). Are they usually frank about it "we can't tell you" or is there a more discrete message?

- Staff meals

Do I eat with the staff or is there a custom thing to do?

NYC kitchen cultures in general, anything I should be aware of?

Thanks all =)

~ Sher * =]

. . . . .I HEART FOOD. . . . .

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy. - Anon

Hey, I hope I can help somewhat. I haven't been in a kitchen for 3 years, as I switched to ice cream. But I worked & staged in 3 star NY, 2 star Michelin places. My friends are still in the kitchen and sounds like much hasn't changed.

Photos

- To be honest I haven't seen anyone with a camera in a kitchen since culinary school. I doubt anyone will seriously care. They might give you a look then turn back to their station. Just be sensitive to the individuals you are near.

Working Hours

- I always arrive early. And if they say you can go its up to you to stay. They wouldn't mind if you stayed, and if you left it would be the same.

Taste

- I always ask to taste. If I'm working on something I taste, if I'm just moving around helping I ask to taste. I don't know what within reason is, I guess as long as its sanitary.

Equipment

- I don't know how long your stage is and how much you'd be doing. Its worth bringing your stone if possible to sharpen when your not there. But I imagine you know that. Mandolines and others usually are lying around somewhere to be found. Be respectful obviously to grabbing stuff if it seems like someone's equipment. I found this out the hard way. A good peeler especially if its a French place.

Questions

- Every place I've been to everyone has been open with everything from where they got it, how much, and the ingredients. People seemed glad to pass on techniques & other info. If they have a discrete message please tell when you get back!

Staff Meals

- People seem really chill here in NYC. Just grab your stuff and chit-chat with whoever. I never had a problem.

The last thing I'll mention is about getting the most out of where you are. They will give you all kinds of crap work because you can be in the way sometimes. Some places you out of the way, or they will pull you in the line it depends. I've spent days cleaning morels. I staged with a guy from Montreal and this guy was so lazy. The whole kitchen staff hated him, but he probably observed more than I did. I acknowledge that when I go into a stage I will receive grunt work. Like I said above, if you ask they will tell you but sometimes your not worth doing anything important. So stick up for yourself when there, hopefully you won't get stuck in some hole "cough Daniel cough" and get to learn something.

Good luck dude.