• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

AA Guide

It may well be of interest to foodies living in and around Manchester that the Alderley Restaurant, in Alderley Edge, Cheshire, has just been awarded three rosettes by the AA ranking it alongside Paul Kitching's 21212 and some other very highly rated places.

Its a very welcome addition from my point of view as its easily driveable for us and indeed we were fairly regular visitors during the Ninetees when David Beckham lived just down the road. Good to see chef Chris Holland is getting some recognition.

Glad to see Loves Restaurant in their too, thats very quick as they have only recently opened.

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2010/01/14/331709/aa-guide-announces-latest-additions-to-restaurant-awards.html

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

And the Dev Arms under Steve Smith deservedly back to four rosettes (contra Michael Winner's bloody review of the place).

The Devonshire Arms has looked appealing for sometime now, all the more reason for me to make a bit more effort to dine their.

I could not agree more regarding Winner's reviews, they really are pathetic and woefully out of touch.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Winner, is a rude, odious prick of a man, who knows less about taste and basic manners than my five year old. I read that review about a week before I was taken there for my 40th birthday last June. He referred to Steve Smith as a "non-chef", now I am not a believer in the Michelin chaps being the arbiters of what is deserving of recognition- (Anthony's- Mr Bulmer, ever heard of it?), but even they have awarded Smith a star at his last three places. Er, yes that's another meal I never wrote up.

The tasting menu was very good on the whole. A mushroom dish with a delicious ice cream was a standout, as was a turbot dish. Problems were the length of time between our pre starters and the first "proper course" coming out. It was nearly fifty minutes by which time we had consumed nearly half the bottle of very decent Burgundy we had splashed out on. The Sommelier never pitched up at all so we had to pour the wine ourselves. Maybe he had his nose out of joint as the manager had taken us to the (quite marvellous) wine cellar to choose our wine.

An enjoyable meal and a lovely place to spend the night, but we would probably eat there and give the stay over a miss to give the superb wine list a test drive next time.

Edited by Bapi (log)