• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing various things in Rome

We'll be visiting Rome next week. Although we fully intend on sampling the delights of Latium cuisine, we got a flat with a big kitchen because we are expecting that it should be possible to find exceptional ingredients in the region. We are staying at the south end of the Piazza Navona, but can walk (up to half an hour if necessary). And I hear public transport works well, so if necessary I'll take a bus.

I would love to hear from any members residing or knowledgeable about Rome, about sourcing the following things. I promise to try as many as possible and to come back to this thread to tell you about it. With photos.

Coffee

More precisely, mild or at most medium roast (as opposed to the stronger Italian roasts), African (Kenya, Ethiopia preferred), Columbian or Kona beans. I'm bringing a grinder. This does not mean we won't go sample espressos, but in the morning I prefer a cup of mild roast. And there's a kitchen, so...

What I have found in France is that if you walk around long enough you find an independent roaster, a guy with an old machine circling beans above heat and selling them in half pound packets. In Nice there's one near the West end of the Promenade des Anglais, a bit into the vieille ville. Any equivalent near Piazza Navona would be great.

Bread

There is word in France that it can be tricky to find good bread in Rome. Any ideas? This is a long shot, but is there anywhere we could find some Poilane bread? I am otherwise happy with any bread style, so long as it's freshly baked, without preservatives.

Eggs and milk

When I grew up, my grandmother's cousin had a farm in the Vercors in France where we spent a fair bit of time. The hens would roam about eating worms, grains, whatever they found; the eggs had a flavour that I have been unable to find anywhere else. Does anybody know a farmer who happens to sell at, say, a city centre market, whose eggs display exceptional flavour? This is for soft-boiling.

We also used to have raw milk straight off the cows. Not sure whether I want to risk it in Rome, but if you know a place...

Tomatoes (and all vegetables)

Somehow I don't think they're in season. But here in Annecy it's still possible to get tomatoes that have some flavour. Any ideas for good tomatoes?

I've been reading Maureen B. Fant's fabulous blog with attention and will be checking out her recommendations for other - particularly local and in season - vegetables, but again, anything close to the Piazza would be great!

Not strictly veggies but what about mushrooms? What's in season at the moment? Any chance... for ceps?...

Cheese

I live in the Alps so already have a lot of French cheese (both local - tommes, reblochon, Beaufort d'ete, etc. - and national - Bleu d'Auvergne, etc.), but we have no Italian cheese here! Time to further my education. Where are the cheese shops? Any particular recommendations?

Sicilian pastries

Just in case you know a bakery...

Beef

I'll take a thick cut sirloin or fillet, sear it lightly on both sides after sprinkling with salt and pepper and eat it close to raw. Where shall I get the beef?

Wine

Any good wine shops near the Piazza? I'm looking at bottles between 10-20 euros from a local producer, with interesting flavour.

Interesting meat

Venison, rabbit, pigeon... preferably skinned and prepared. I can skin a pigeon if necessary.

Oh yes, and lardons. I think you call them pancetta in Italy.

Fish

A guest is a huge fan of fish and seafood. I've seen another thread on a fish market, will check it out. But any other ideas will be welcome!

Chocolates

Per una ragazza ;)

I'm looking at very high quality, single origin high cocoa stuff. My favourite house is still Artisan du Chocolat in London - is there a place in Rome that does this kind of innovative experimentation?

I've run out of ideas but will no doubt be back (and probably still posting from Rome).

Haven't been to Rome, but looking forward to my first visit end of February. During research I have come acoss a bakery near our apartment at Campo de' Fiori, just around the corner from Piazza Navona. The website looks great, and the bakery looks fantastic. The bakery has also gotten good reviews on a couple of different sites. Check out the video link. The bread looks very good, and the pizza? Well let's just say I know where I'm stopping first! http://www.fornocampodefiori.com/main.php

Ciao.

Edited by podunkom (log)