• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Straight Fondant Pieces

ChocoChris

Hi All,

I have to make 6, 4.25 x 6 in. pieces of fondant that look like window panes where the panes measure 1.75 in. square and are laid out in a 2 x 3 grid. I experimented a little and at first I tried a thicker piece of fondant but it distorts more than a thinner measurement of about 3/8 in. I used a square cookie cutter for the panes. It is not the exact size I need so I make multiple cuts - one for each corner of each pane. Also, I've cut a plastic template to guide my cuts. I plan on cutting them and allowing them to dry so that they are stiff when I need to apply them to the cake. The problem is that as I cut the panes out, the strips of fondant between the panes start to distort from the displacement of the cutter. Also, the entire shape has to have 90 degree corners to look correct. I found that cutting the panes out first and then cutting the entire window from the rolled fondant lessens the distortion. But there is still some distortion.

So, can anyone suggest a better technique to achieve this shape? Also, I was wonder if cutting thin strips of fondant and then piecing them together on the cake might be better than making the whole window pane. I still think that making them square and straight would be a challenge.

I hope this description makes sense and that someone has some tips to share. I've seen cakes with fondant applications that look so clean and straight and even and always wondered how its done.

Thanks so much,

Chris

It will be easier for you to use modeling chocolate for this particular project - it won't distort and you can let it firm up over time at rm temp or chill until firm and then apply.

Chefpeon first gave me this advice years ago, and it's spot on. Modeling chocolate rules!!