• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Bones

nbaines

I freeze bones all the time... 6 months (well wrapped) sounds good for a "fridge" freezer. up to 1 year, or more for a "deep freeze".

The only usability consideration [for me] would be if the fridge freezer does not have a separate door. Some older refrigerators have only one main door, and the freezer compartment is inside. In such a situation, the freezer temperature does not really stay low enough (due to opening & closing the fridge door) to maintain good product quality. Therefore, the food could develop and "off" flavor, even if technically it is still safe to eat.

If it smells weird, it will taste even weirder. Keep in mind, that pathogens which cause food-borne illness would not, in themselves, create an odor...

Karen Dar Woon

scubadoo97 is quite right - you're going to boil those bones for two hours or more, so they'll be very hygienic. As for safe in terms of making a good-flavoured stock, you're here anyway, why not defrost them, boil them up and see how they smell ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Thanks guys,

I thought they should be ok but thought i'd check, I had defrosted them and the marrow from some of the bones had sort of slid out a little and I thought I'd just check to be sure as i've never had that happen with fresh bones and it was the first time i'd frozen them. I'll roast and boil them and see how good they are against fresh bones in a stock.

thanks again

@lostinthelarder

Lost in the Larder - the life and times of an inquisitive appetite

I'd freeze more bones if I had more freezer space. I've thrown year-old frozen beef bones into boiling water for stock and got fine results -- and you can gear them crack. In fact, there's a great French expression that means a cook is very skilled and thorough if they crack the marrow out of the bones -- I'll see if I can find it, sounds much better in French.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack