• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City Restaurant Week

dividend

January 22-31, 95 participating restaurants with fixed menus - $15 lunch / $30 dinner.

That price point seems a little strange for some of the restaurants. For example, DBF and I can go to Blanc and have burgers, fries, onion rings, good beer, and some chocolates and get out for <$60 total. There are a lot of included restaurants where <$30 before drinks/tax/tip is easy. It also seems strange that the list is full of chain restaurants - Houlihan's? McCormick & Schmick's? McFadden's? Nick & Jake's?

Lunch looks like the best deals. Michael Smith, Webster House, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.kansascityrestaurantweek.com/

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I thought lunch seemed like a better bet, too, but I'm still new here and am not that familiar with many of the restaurants. I did find the list of restaurants a bit odd, but I live in Liberty where 99.7% of the restaurants are chains, so it wouldn't be all that strange here.

I'm hoping to try a few, but have a lot going on during that time, so don't know how successful I'll be.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I've got pretty mixed feelings myself. I worked a couple of restaurant weeks in NYC and it was brutal. People tended to be rude, impatient, tip poorly, and a lot of them seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about critiquing the experience. At the same time, it was very successful, very busy, and if it benefits harvesters then that's good.

I do think its weak to include chains, but the people who go to chains go to chains, and if it gets some of them to check out independents and compare and contrast, then I feel confident that our guys will do well.

The economy is still stagnant and if this helps the industry and Harvesters, its good. I hope it does well and it will definitely be interesting. But as diners, please...

-remember that this is only a taste of what each restaurant has to offer. It is not a typical experience there, and it will almost never be an example of them at their best, hitting on all cylinders

-you should really tip on the amount it might have been at regular prices. The owner has chosen to participate and is hopefully reaping a long term benefit, but the servers are working harder for less money and that isn't really fair.

-do not make substitutions and special requests. You're getting a great deal. The kitchen is getting slammed and not making much money so please eat what they've prepared and are offering, and don't try to bargin or re-write the menu.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

Just wanted to say that we had dinner at Piropos (Briarcliff Village) last night. Two of us had the R-Week dinner and 2 ordered off the menu. It all was great!

Note to Piropos fans: Their beloved Parkville location, which for some time now has only been open for events, is now offering dinner on the first Wednesday of every month. I'd call first to make sure I got the night right, but this is great news for those who miss that fabulous view from the hilltop. I'm looking forward to it, as I've only heard about it so far.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I would say as a Chef and Owner of a Restaurant in Kansas City that KC Restaurant week has been a huge success!! There has been increase in traffic in the restaurant and have been very busy the last week of January!!! This week if traditionally a very slow week and we have been packed. I also was very pleased that I believe that most of the people I saw were new faces, which is very exciting for me! I hope all of the Participants in the Restaurant Week had good results as well!

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.