• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Egullet Lunch At An American Grill

Rosie

At this point I plan to attend, but may be a late stratch due to work-related obligation -- unfortunately will not know that until Monday. I'll call Lou as early as I know on Monday if I will be dropping out.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

Coming from 80 East take Rt 287 south exit towards Morristown. Remain on 287 from approx 4 miles and look for 1st exit ( Rt 10 West Dover) Take Rt 10 approx 7 miles. We're on the right. Any questions call 973-442-9311

An American Grill

246 Rt 10 West.

See you all tomorrow, Lou

Reminder, the time is 12:30.

Here is the current RSVP list after reviewing the cancellations and confirmations above:

Rosie

Kim WB

LReda - Lou

dbrociner - David

1toughcustomer

Dana

ngatti - Nick

chopjwu12 - David

suzilightening

Rachel

Sandy - Rachel's guest

Any changes before I make the (very simple) nametags?

I am waiting for Rachel to post about our luncheon. But was it not great? Tommy--you missed a good one. The steak sandwiches were fabulous. I was going to save calories by just eating the meat but the bread was also excellent so I ate that also. The garlic toast on the salad was addictive. Lou promised me I could have some the next time I come in for dinner! Thanks Lou for being such a gracious host. And it was great meeting everyone and putting faces to the avatars!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Tommy--you missed a good one.

i'm sure i did. but i must press on, working, so i'm able to afford a few 300 dollar dinners a month and confront those who tell me i'm eating incorrectly.

lou, i'll see you soon for a steak and magic hat, and let 'em all tell me that i'm not having the best lunch in the world. in 10,000 words, of course.

:biggrin:

edited for clarity...

Edited by tommy (log)

It was a nice event, Lou's place is lovely, and the bar is comfortable and welcoming, yet new and sleek. The food was great, and I loved the well dressed salad at the start..dill is one of my favorites, and I really picked up on it in the salad. The steaks were really good, and the hot peppers were awesome...1Tough was smart to request bowls of them.

Two points..one, it' s apparant that Lou has created a nice, homey family at An American Grill, without loosing a bit of professionalism. It's an intangible, but the restaurant really had a nice "feel" to it. Also, It was great to see bold colors and subtle geometrics on his plates..enough of the generic blah white. The place has personality, so should the plates!

I'll parrot Rosie's comment, its nice to attach faces to names. And, if you'd like to know how the DOD is using birds to protect us from Sadaam, well..ask Suzi Lightening! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks Lou for hosting us.

(Why were you waiting for me to post, Rosie? There were other people there and you made it back online before me.)

Anyway, it was a very delicious lunch. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the rolls were nice and crisp. Lou, care to post a recipe for that spaghetti squash side-dish? Only thing Kim didn't mention was the melon sorbet concluding our meal.

Afterwards, Kim and I had fun shopping at the restaurant supply store a couple miles east of the An American Grill.

Joseph Beran & Son

3000 State Route 10 West

Morris Plains, NJ 07950

201-267-9111

I for one had a great time! Terrific talking to suzilightning. A women with mucho knowledge about many things. Rachels 'friend, Sandy was most charming, though we didn't get to talk much golf.

Lou: Golf at Alpine as soon as the weather turns again. The restaurant is beautiful and the food great (those steaks didn't taste fried at all).

Onetoughcustomer and oneslightlymoretendercustomer: Nice chatting about knives. You *know* what you're talking about.

Kim: great talking over old times, but I'm sure you'll agree Thomas Wolf had something there :wink::smile: (thank Gawd!)

Dbrociner was at the other end of the bar so we didn't talk much, 'sides, he was wearing that Titans jersey. :biggrin:

Rosie is so dreamy :wub:

Thanks all

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Dbrociner was at the other end of the bar so we didn't talk much, 'sides, he was wearing that Titans jersey. :biggrin:

Do tell?

Tennessee or NY Titans?

(How many readers caught that reference in ngatti's original post?)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

it's taken me 30 hours or so to reply and I hate to jump on what's already been said...but..... Lou great job!...everything wat just perfect. Kim.. I would love to take credit for the bowls of sauteed cherry peppers..They were sooo good...but Lou did that on his own. As always the "sides" at American Grill are treated with respect. It was Dana and my real pleasure to meet Rosie, Nick, Rachel, Kim, David. Sandy and Suzi!

Lou thanks for the Egullet intro....I don't post often...but I do learn from you folks. Thanks!

Ever since my husband installed the pole and mirrors in our bedroom, I find the whole bar scene a little blase.  :shock:  :laugh:  :rolleyes:

i have an idea for the next NJ egullet (unofficial of course) event.

Satin Dolls on Rt. 17? Or Frank's Chicken House in Manville?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host