• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastics Resource

paulraphael

The blogosphere is filled with hysteria these days over food being poisoned by contact with murderous plastic. I've met people who have banished plastic from their kitchens and only use glass or metal or crockery containers now.

This kind of reductive thinking annoys me (all plastic is bad? all glass is good? how do you know there's no lead in the glass? how do you know there's no cadmium in the pottery glaze, or soluble nickel in the metal?)

But good, unbiassed resources are scarce. I had to search through a lot web clutter before concluding there's no damning evidence against the polypropylene used in my prep and takeout containers. I doubt most people will bother looking this hard.

Does anyone know of a well researched clearingouse of information on plastic toxicity?

Notes from the underbelly

I came across this one just a week or two ago and printed it out to paste inside my pantry door. From the Fantes Kitchen Wares Shop website. I can't vouch for the information, but I like the format. Maybe some eGulleteer who knows the field will look it over and tell us if we should take it seriously.

Fern

Not my field, but the info in the chart corresponds with what I've read elsewhere. The format is user-friendly.

Seems to me the real elephant in the room is canned foods, which may be the biggest source of BPA in most people's environment. Cans are lined with epoxy that leaches the stuff during the canning process. There are currently no regulations governing it, and since consumer fear has been directed at plastic containers, the industry hasn't been forced to make changes.

Link

Edited by paulraphael (log)

The other Elephant is that plastics are made from petroleum, and therefore their manufacture is dependent upon a reliable supply of oil.

Perhaps better that we consider alternatives to the disposable plastics, such as reusable/washable plastics, reusable glass, and less packaging?

Karen Dar Woon

I'm not convinced the petroleum content is an issue. is the amount of petroleum used to make a polypropylene takeout container as much as what's used to manufacture a glass or stainless steel one? I think it's unlikely, especially if the plastic container has recycled content. The amount of energy that goes into steel and glass fabrication (even if the raw materials are recycled) is huge; and you can bet most of that energy comes from fossil fuels.

Petroleum used to transport said containers will likely be similar once the containers are filled with product. My thoughts were more around reUSING than recycling. Therefore, glass makes sense for some products. Personally, I am less likely to wash and reuse/repurpose a plastic takeout container than a metal one.

But, really, in an urban setting, it's hard to get away from using disposable containers, some of the time.

Thanks for the resource link, btw.

Karen Dar Woon

That link is to a kitchen wares store site. Not perhaps an unbiased resource, if they sell a lot of plastics, and I'm not sure they often research chemistry in their retail business. They footnoted several sources, however, so I hopped over to National Geographic's Greenguide. Their summary (which has now moved to here: http://www.thegreenguide.com/food/safety-storage/safest-plastics) is, I think, even simpler, and unlike the store, it does not omit some important points. Most notably, they state not to heat plastic -- and this is what I'd read in other sources when I was first researching the subject (so I wouldn't poison our kids - when all this news first came out):

All plastics can leach chemicals under certain conditions. As a rule of thumb, do not subject even the most durable plastic containers to high temperatures (microwave or dishwasher; radiators; hot food or drink; direct sun on hot days). "Microwave-safe" and "microwavable" mean a container probably won't melt in the microwave, but there's no promise that it won't leach chemicals into your food. Do not use ANY plastic containers that appear old, stained or worn, since bacteria can hide in scratches or scummy films.

Also, rigid sports bottles can be problematic, which they note, and the other site did not. The Greenguide advises sticking to metal, ovensafe ceramics, and tempered glass (such as Pyrex) if you're going to heat food.

Mainly because I am now an adult and not vulnerable to many toxins, unlike growing children, I don't worry too much about plastics toxicity. However, the table cited is unreliable because of unknown future revelations which may come to light. Also, PVDC is NOT a form of PVC, as they state. It isn't healthy, but it isn't the same. What's most important, is that it would be far better, instead of relying on anyone's gathered chemical properties, to avoid overheating any plastics because they all can break down to more elemental forms. That includes some of the most innocuous materials such as silicones. Also, some materials, such as phenolics, are listed as pretty safe, but that is only as they are presently used. Considering unregulated rogue suppliers such as those in China, not even the phenolics or nylons can be immune from close observation. Neither is allowed by the FDA for use as body-implantable devices, for example.

Ray

All plastics can leach chemicals under certain conditions. As a rule of thumb, do not subject even the most durable plastic containers to high temperatures (microwave or dishwasher; radiators; hot food or drink; direct sun on hot days). "Microwave-safe" and "microwavable" mean a container probably won't melt in the microwave, but there's no promise that it won't leach chemicals into your food. Do not use ANY plastic containers that appear old, stained or worn, since bacteria can hide in scratches or scummy films.

I mistrust this information even more. There is no science here, not a single citation of any kind. Statements like "All plastics can leach chemicals under certain conditions" are pointless. All known substances can leach certain chemicals under some conditions, so where does this leave us?

I looked for studies that showed polypropylene leaching anything harmful under any reasonable kitchen conditions ... this is what my storage and takeout containers are made from. I found nothing. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but it does mean that it appears to be safer than, say, most stainless steels, which can leach nickel (toxic in solution) into acidic foods.

Not that I'm afraid of stainless; I use it for food in a million ways. Just trying to put things in perspective.

I think it's as foolish to casually dismiss all plastic as it is to casually embrace all metal, glass, or ceramic. The world is full of glass and ceramic formulations known to be toxic, known to leach metalic compounds, etc. etc... The smart rule is the same for everything: know what you're using.

And if you're going as far as pitching your lexan nalgene bottle, you really should consider banishing canned foods: that's where most of your BPA is lurking.

Another source of bis-phenol A is the lids used in home canning http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home_canning_faq/42.php The information at the link claims that the amount of bisphenol A is so small it won't hurt anyone. I have my doubts but can't say I have specific evidence to refute Kerr/Ball's contention--and it'd be nice to have a choice. The only choice is to buy more expensive European style canning jars--and I'm not sure the rubber rings used with those jars don't contain bisphenol A.

I'm trying to figure out when they started lining metal cans with epoxy ... it's possible that we've been chugalugging BPA since the 1930s. In one sense this is scary; in another sense it's reassuring. If we've been heavily exposed for that many decades, then it would seem the real-world risks aren't so apocalyptic.

Another source of bis-phenol A is the lids used in home canning http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home_canning_faq/42.php The information at the link claims that the amount of bisphenol A is so small it won't hurt anyone. I have my doubts but can't say I have specific evidence to refute Kerr/Ball's contention--and it'd be nice to have a choice. The only choice is to buy more expensive European style canning jars--and I'm not sure the rubber rings used with those jars don't contain bisphenol A.

But if the food is not in contact w/ the plastic, does it matter?

Karen Dar Woon

But if the food is not in contact w/ the plastic, does it matter?

Seems like it would be a smaller issue, but there's no way to know for sure without testing. Some of the tests of other kinds of can linings gave results that surprised the manufacturers. I'd assume that a small piece of material makes less difference than a big one, and a lid makes less difference than the walls ... but those are just assumptions.

It was officially declared a health hazard here in Canada last April and has been banned in baby bottles. However, it's still found in tin cans, though it's not in plastic containers any longer. We've been trying to move away from cans since last year, and are making all our beans from dried. We've still not managed to stop using canned tomatoes yet, though are looking around for alternatives. Unfortunately tomatoes, being acidic, apparently leach more BPA from the can liners.

Eden Foods canned beans are BPA free, though - as far as I know the only company to declare their canned food BPA free. Their tomatoes are not, however, as the liner substitute can't deal with the acidity.

www.cookbooker.com - Rate and review your cookbook recipes.

Cookbooker Challenge: July/Aug 2010 - collaboratively baking & reviewing Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.

I think it would be helpful to organize how we are thinking about this topic. Harmful chemicals issuing from plastics used in connection with food is a very broad topic. The links posted so far give us the usual government organization scheme for plastics, which perhaps we can stick to, but I leave that open for comment.

Most of the concerns to date revolve around plastics with resin identification codes #3 and #7, which studies (Google the plastic name you're interested in and "BPA") have linked to BPA, which other studies (again, Google, or review the studies linked from the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A ) have proven to be harmful to humans.

But those are items such as plastic wrap, which is made out of polyvinyl chloride, classified as type #3. It seems to me that you (original poster) are dismissing the issue as hysteria because it does not apply to you, as opposed to other humans. Perhaps you don't use plastic wrap or clear (not cloudy) plastic containers or the older kind of clear plastic sports bottles, and of course you no longer use baby bottles - most of which the manufacturers are now replacing with BPA-free plastic. So your remaining issue is the question of food containers made out of polypropylene.

I'm guessing you're not currently responsible for a baby, and certainly as a man you're not nursing. (Wikipedia, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A#cite_note-54 : "A 2008 review has concluded that "perinatal exposure to (...) low doses of (..) BPA, alters breast development and increases breast cancer risk".[55 - citing Brisken, C. (2008). "Endocrine Disruptors and Breast Cancer". CHIMIA International Journal for Chemistry 62: 406–409. doi:10.2533/chimia.2008.406 ] Another 2008 review concluded that " animal experiments and epidemiological data strengthen the hypothesis that foetal exposure to xenoestrogens may be an underlying cause of the increased incidence of breast cancer observed over the last 50 years".[56 - citing Soto, A.; Vandenberg, L.; Maffini, M.; Sonnenschein, C. (2008). "Does breast cancer start in the womb?". Basic & clinical pharmacology & toxicology 102 (2): 125–133. doi:10.1111/j.1742-7843.2007.00165.x. PMID 18226065 ]") Also, "A study published in the Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP) journal in August, 2005 demonstrated for the first time a strong link between a mother's exposure during pregnancy to phthalates and adverse effects on the male reproductive system. These changes were seen at phthalate levels below those found in one-quarter of the female population of the United States. Most recently, Danish medical researchers published a new study in EHP on September 7th, 2005 finding that 3-month-old boys exposed to higher levels of phthalates through breast milk produced less testosterone than baby boys exposed to lower levels of the chemicals,..." according to http://www.besafenet.com/pvc/newsreleases/microsoft_news_release.htm, citing http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2005/8100/abstract.html and http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2005/8075/abstract.html

Let's assume you avoid plastic wrap because the EPA has stated "Vinyl chloride is a known human carcinogen that causes a rare cancer of the liver." See National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for Vinyl Chloride Subpart F, OMB Control Number 2060-0071, EPA ICR Number 0186.09 (Federal Register: September 25 2001 (Volume 66, Number 186). And see http://urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=2361 ("may harm the brain and prostate glands in developing fetuses and infants; adults with higher BPA levels in their urine were linked to higher risks for heart disease and diabetes, according to a study published last September in the Journal of the American Medical Association."). Also see studies described here http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090610124428.htm and here http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091006114637.htm

So it totally makes sense that the reaction to plastic-related studies, to you (and I would think some other people in your position), don't justify the concerns. So it might make sense to research your individual situation by focusing on the results for the containers you mention. It seems likely you're probably going to be just fine. Most studies to date, from what I can see in the research, although there don't seem to be a lot yet examining this exact issue, but they don't see many problems with polypropylene ("PP"), which is the usual food container plastic (but check the bottom of your yogurt containers, and any clear plastic food containers, for their type#, because some are 3 or 7...). Some studies do say that "more research is needed," because yes, it appears a lot of the research to date on PP is not conclusive. Some Canadian scientists think they noted indication that PP was leaching in an experiment they were conducting ( wikipedia says "In 2008, Researchers in Canada asserted that quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide were leaking out of certain polypropylene labware, affecting experimental results" and cites http://www.physorg.com/news145545554.html , or see http://www.canada.com/chilliwacktimes/story.html?id=be27d48b-ef01-4e78-b2bf-c108801884c2 or

http://www.ewg.org/node/27344 ) but their results seem to be described by most analysts as inconclusive.

It seems to me that you (original poster) are dismissing the issue as hysteria because it does not apply to you, as opposed to other humans. Perhaps you don't use plastic wrap or clear (not cloudy) plastic containers or the older kind of clear plastic sports bottles, and of course you no longer use baby bottles - most of which the manufacturers are now replacing with BPA-free plastic. So your remaining issue is the question of food containers made out of polypropylene.

No, what I'm calling hysteria is the tendency to read a warning about one kind of plastic, and then leap to the conclusion that all kinds of plastic are equally dangerous. And also the corresponding leap of illogic, which is to then assume that all things not made of plastic are somehow without issues. Sadly I've been encountering a lot of this.

I strongly encourage everyone to research the specific plastics that they use. My original post was an effort to find resources to make this easier.

• 5 months later...

Though not a chemist or expert, my exposure to plastics and my experiential knowledge comes mostly from years of working with plastics and people who mold them. I think the use of plastics within the heat range they are designed for is the major factor to using them safely with food and beverages. But, if you don't know what you have or it's not what it's supposed to be...

As Ray Goud suggested, if you buy plastics with no US FDA (or other), controls and markings (ie., not manufactured under strict standards and full disclosure), you run the risk of using plastics with strange additives and blending/mixing of plastics occurring. I saw this a lot in offshore manufacturing where the customer was supposed to get one thing and received another, cheaper and inferior plastic.

I worry about the plastic spatulas and spoons I use. One is marked "melamine" and three others are not marked at all. One which I am going to discard, says good to 4xx degrees and the edge will roll over when I cook with it. I have had Oxo tools where the urethane grips oozed goo that did not harden or get mixed properly in the manufacturing process.

I've found inconsistencies in small plastic containers, where the standard triangle with numeral and description (like PP or PE), is missing. I bought a cheap set of plastic containers from Ikea and find that they were made in China... and they are not marked in our US standards. No triangles and the lids have no markings.

I have basically stopped microwaving in plastics. I don't think storage is an issue. Plastics at or below room temp are pretty inert and not liable to be a problem (IMHO).

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...