• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Side Dishes for Steak

jsmeeker

DBF and I have agreed to biweekly steak nights at home, to stave off the inevitable feelings of deprivation from eating homemade food 95% of the time (no matter how good my cooking is). My grocery list for that normally reads:

steak

3 potatoes

green veg

It's understood to mean that at the grocery store, if he's with me, he will be in charge of procuring a thick, 10-oz, grass fed steak, and 3 medium sized potatoes, leaving me to wander the produce aisle and find inspiration. The potatoes become oven fries (via the Cook's Illustrated method), or are simply baked (in the oven, if I have an hour, nuked if not), or mashed with roasted garlic, or twice baked stuffed with shrimp and cheese (a riff on a Paula Deen recipe) if I have bits of cheese and sour cream on hand to get rid of. (I also adore gratin dauphinoise, but it's difficult to make in a two person meal quantity.) It's winter, so the steak is seared in cast iron, finished in the oven. I've also been really digging on baby bok choy sauteed with garlic, roasted asparagus, pan roasted brussel sprouts with bacon.

I'm glad somebody started this thread, because I was pondering the exact same thing as I was meal planning last week - how to keep the whole meal interesting. I'm going to have to try creamed spinach, and something with squash. And daydream about summer, when all we'll need is grilled corn (butter, lime, cayenne, cilantro) and thick tomato slices. Grilled bread is a wonderful thing too.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

(I also adore gratin dauphinoise, but it's difficult to make in a two person meal quantity.)

Why do you find it difficult? I often make potatoes dauphinoise or ordinary scalloped potatoes for one or two -- as long as you have the right sized dish, you should be fine.

I really like Potatoes Au Gratin, a good classic baked potato or double baked potato's. As far as veggies go I really like a classic cesaer, green beans, brussel sprouts, sauteed pea tips, i like good trumpet mushrooms sauteed in butter, garlic and some shallots with a little chili flake and citrus.

Skirt steak on the reversible grill/griddle tonight, accompanied with red cipollini onions tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper also on the grill, and I think I was imprinted by the mentions above of gratin dauphinoise, because I made that too. I agree that it's not a difficult dish to make in small quantities in an appropriately sized pan, and if you slice the potatoes with a knife--it's not enough to justify cleaning a food processor or mandoline.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

(I also adore gratin dauphinoise, but it's difficult to make in a two person meal quantity.)

Why do you find it difficult? I often make potatoes dauphinoise or ordinary scalloped potatoes for one or two -- as long as you have the right sized dish, you should be fine.

I think it's because the recipe I have is perfectly atomic based on 1 pint of heavy cream, 1 onion, and 2lbs of potatoes, in a 9 inch dish. I don't normally have cream on hand, either, so it seems wasteful to me to by some and not use it all. And I don't have a smaller dish. Excuses, excuses, right? Tell me about the proportions for a 2 person scalloped potato side dish, please, that sounds good.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Pinto beans flavored up with some good ground red chiles.

Interesting, isn't it, all these responses. I always find regional differences fascinating. Something that is practically automatic in one part of a country can be unheard of in another.

But I'm with you. In the US southwest, you never, well okay rarely, get served a grilled steak without a side of some sort of ranch-style cowboy pinto beans. Potato, too, usually, but the ranch-style beans are a given.

In fact, the few times I served steaks without them, my guests invariably asked, "where are the beans?"

And yet, no one but you has mentioned them.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

roasted (fresh) garlic is a must for me. a leafy salad, or sauteed mushrooms are probably my all time favourite. i also like most things mentioned here when in season. sometimes even a fried egg, never any creamy or runny sauces however.

Pinto beans flavored up with some good ground red chiles.

Interesting, isn't it, all these responses. I always find regional differences fascinating. Something that is practically automatic in one part of a country can be unheard of in another.

But I'm with you. In the US southwest, you never, well okay rarely, get served a grilled steak without a side of some sort of ranch-style cowboy pinto beans. Potato, too, usually, but the ranch-style beans are a given.

In fact, the few times I served steaks without them, my guests invariably asked, "where are the beans?"

And yet, no one but you has mentioned them.

Should have said "ranch-style cowboy pinto/chili beans" - not just pintos - red beans, kidney beans, etc.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Tell me about the proportions for a 2 person scalloped potato side dish, please, that sounds good.

For two (depending on your appetites), I'd use two medium Yukon Gold potatoes (maybe 1/4 lb. total), peeled and sliced fairly thin (not potato chip thin; more like 1/8 inch). I start them on the stove and finish in the oven, but I'm sure you could do them start to finish in the oven if that's the method you're used to. I put the slices in a small saucepan and barely cover with cream or half-and half (1/4 to 1/3 cup). Add a smashed clove of garlic and if I have a sprig of thyme or rosemary, I add that too. Simmer for 15 minutes or so -- they should be barely cooked through, not falling apart. During the last minute or two I stir in a chopped green onion as well, but you could leave that out. Pour the potatoes into a small buttered baking dish (fish out the garlic and herbs first.) The cream has usually reduced about the right amount by this time, but if you have more than you need, don't add it all. Top with Gruyere or buttered panko.

The crucial piece of equipment is a small gratin dish. I have a couple of oval Emile Henry dishes that are about 8 inches at the longest point and 5 inches across; they're great for a serving for two.

I have gotten into the bad habit of keeping it the same most of the time. Top a flat iron or tri tip steak with a nice rub and roasted red and orange peppers. Serve with garlic sauteed musrhooms and baby bok choy, possibly steamed asparagus with black sesame seeds and extra virgin olive oil. As well I always serve filone topped with rosemary, garlic, and sea salt. Always with red wine and finishing with an Island scotch!

Clark