• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charcoal grills

mcohen

Is there a specific time in the month when charcoal grills go on sale? And, how much would something like Webers go on sale for?

I've got a 10% coupon from Lowe's that I could use to buy a charcoal grill, but I can wait to buy them if they go on sale.

Around here (New England) they go on sale in September. Weber charcoal grills range from $29 to over $1000, last I checked... which model were you considering? A 22.5" One Touch Silver, which is an excellent charcoal grill for most folks' needs, can often be found for $65-$70. I have one that was made in 1994 and it still works just fine.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

To be clear, Weber makes exactly one charcoal grill that costs over $1000: The Weber Ranch Kettle. Not exactly for everyone, but fun to ogle nonetheless!

Since you want to use your Lowe's coupon, you'll generally have to wait until the end of "grilling season" to get the best price. That said, Weber charcoal grills rarely go on sale because they're built well, they're popular, and they sell themselves. There's no incentive to put them on sale -- people will pay the market price. (You can put me on the list of Weber charcoal grill owners who bought long ago at full price with no regrets.)

Lowe's does sell cheaper grills, but most of them are garbage. However, last year they did have a grill on sale that caught my eye; it was around $300 and was similar to the Barbeques Galore grill with height-adjustable grates. But I was too content with my Weber to buy it.

One last thing, Weber kettles can be found used and in good condition. Lots of people buy them, but can't/won't learn to love charcoal. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy one on craigslist for a fraction of what I spent...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Ideally, I was looking for a Weber One Touch Gold.

One last thing, Weber kettles can be found used and in good condition. Lots of people buy them, but can't/won't learn to love charcoal. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy one on craigslist for a fraction of what I spent...

At what point, are they still in good condition. From CL, I've seen pictures of the grills looking all crudy and nasty so I just bypassed them.

Crud washes off with a hose. Grates rust, but replacements can be bought inexpensively at most hardware stores. If the bowl and lid are not out of round, not rusted through, and not showing any spots of heavy bubbling under the finish that suggest rust problems, and the stand is stable, it's fine.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger