• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian near Paddington?

I will have one night for dinner on my own in London in March, and will be staying at the Paddington Hilton, which is not my usual neighborhood. Can anyone recommend a good Indian restaurant nearby? I will have spent a week in Cornwall and decent Indian meals are pretty thin on the ground down there. Thanks!

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

I live nearby and am yet to find a good Indian in this area i'm afraid, sorry not to be of more help - does it have to be in Paddington or could you travel a bit?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

A short cab ride away, if they go straight across Hyde Park, you can find Haandi (136 Brompton Road) which is pretty decent.

There is also "Urban Turban" in Westbourne Grove which I have heard mixed review about, some very good. It is very trendy Indian tapas concept by Vineet Bhatia who holds a Michelin star at his other restaurants including a second star in Switzerland I believe, making him the only Indian chef to have stars in more than one country.

Thanks for the help, I kind of figured that was the situation. I'll just have to go farther afield. I'd forgotten about Haandi, I've eaten there several times when I was staying in Knightsbridge and remember that it's very good. Thanks!

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

I used to commute from Paddington train station down to the west country, thus Haandi was a good place for a post-work curry as it was quite a quick cab ride to the station, but not so easy on public transport.

When we were in London this summer the Indians running our hotel (near Paddington) suggested Shalimar Garden on Gloucester Terrace (just a few blocks from Paddinton). We had lunch there and it was very good. Not gourmet, but very good.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs