• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating/Resurrecting Arrowroot thickened soup

Heidi the Pilgrim

It's been a long time since I was here...life and all. Yes, this is a burning question, for the simple reason that I am sick, with the bubonic plague or something, and I am going to my freezer for my favorite remedy, hot and sour soup from my local Chinese restaurant. With the last batch I defrosted, I noticed it was chunky when reheated, it never did break down and smooth out which I attribute to the arrowroot probably used to thicken it. I did search and found many articles on arrowroot as a thickener but nothing about reheating it.

Is there anything I can do to smooth this soup out again, or will I have to suffer with the somewhat rough texture in favor of it's medicinal properties (which are fantastic and should be documented...)? If they delivered I'd order it fresh...but....

Thanks for any help...*coughcough* :)

Takeout Chinese soup seems more likely to be thickened with cornstarch (or potato starch) rather than arrowroot. Try whisking it while warming it over low-to-medium heat on the stove. The lumps will break up and melt back in as it heats.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger