• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good restaurant midway between Leonia and Belle Mead

scarlet knight

We are meeting for dinner with our cousins from Leonia (Bergen County) and my sister from Belle Mead (Somerset County) and we come from in between (Essex).

Last summer we met at the dear departed David Drake, which we all loved. Hope it comes back, although it seemed out of place in Rahway. No dis to Rahway, but I thought that restaurant would do better in Westfield, Cranford, Millburn, etc. demographically.

We need a new centrally located place. Note that my parents are joining us. I think that they would find a place like David Drake too "fancy" and expensive, so if we can ratchet down the restaurant it might work.

We like 3 West in the Basking Ridge area, but it might be too far from Leonia. Kenilworth? Westfield? Any ideas?

It's a little closer for the Bergen and Essex folks, but I was just reading about Uproot in Warren... Worth a try?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Great suggestion, as usual, Curlz. Two concerns: My parents are old school and won't get it and I think it's a little far for the Leonia crew. We'll go with my sister and brother-in-law only, I think.

Has anyone eaten at Basilico in Millburn lately?

We ate at Giotto in Montclair last week and it was good, but it's a little cramped and noisy and we'll be a table of 8.

I read a scathing review of DaBenito in Union. We ate there many years ago and enjoyed it.