• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hardware for Dorm Cooking

helenjp

I'm really just musing, as my current focus is more on getting son1 up to speed with a few failsafe dishes, with hardware purchasing decisions a few months away yet.

What cooking equipment do college students keep in their dorm rooms?

I'm thinking...

- small microwave with toaster function (cheaper to microwave hot drinks than to boil an electric kettle)

- earthenware lidded "nabe" suitable for cooking rice in the microwave or for cooking one-pot dishes in the microwave or on the kitchen gas range

- a few bowls, mostly a bit oversized, so they can be used for serving as well as eating.

- thin plastic chopping sheet, 1 all-purpose knife, kitchen shears

I'm beginning to see dorm cooking as a really specialized area! When I went to university, students lived in big old houses, and cooked huge meals for up to a dozen flatmates and hangers-on. Very different from the dorm student who only needs to prepare (or buy) weekend meals, hot drinks, and snacks.

Son1 will likely have the use of the dorm kitchen on weekends, so knives/pans etc are not a big priority, but I assume there will be traffic jams.

A hotplate, a rice cooker/slow cooker & a microwave is a good base. The hotplate can be used to sear & stir fry, the rice cooker can make soups & steam as well as make rice and the microwave for reheating or making prepared foods. as far as knives go, a wasabi gyuto or santoku is affordable & wicked sharp if you're willing to touch them up every quarter when he comes home.

PS: I am a guy.

Daughter1 did not live in a dorm, but she really appreciated having:

* utensils, tools & bowls all the same color (i.e., yellow) so that they were readily identifiable.

* a few "good" towels

* mug, large enough for a bowl of soup

Daughter2 lives in a student apartment w/ 3 others. They share a full kitchen which includes microwave, cooktop, oven and fridge. Apparently in the perfect world, they would have a dishwasher, but having roommates who wash up their own dishes is also desirable. She likes:

* a good stock of either reusable plastic zip bags, or nesting storage containers

* dishcloths

* her own set of cutlery, mug & drinking glass

* and would like a small refrigerator (i.e., under the bed, or shelf-sized.

I would also recommend: small-ish tray for carrying items back to one's room; choose bowls which have lids and handles, for best multi-functionality, collapsable dish drying rack, washing-up brush.

Karen Dar Woon

further

stick-on hooks for dorm walls: 3M company here makes a line which can hold up to 5 lbs per hook

mesh bags, drawstring top, to hold lightweight items like the above-mentioned storage containers, or some utensils.

Daughter1 did also appreciate having one good 2L heavy-bottomed pot, which she kept in a locked cupboard.

Karen Dar Woon

A hotplate, a rice cooker/slow cooker & a microwave is a good base. The hotplate can be used to sear & stir fry, the rice cooker can make soups & steam as well as make rice and the microwave for reheating or making prepared foods. as far as knives go, a wasabi gyuto or santoku is affordable & wicked sharp if you're willing to touch them up every quarter when he comes home.

The rice cooker is a great idea. You can make hard-cooked eggs in it, add a whole mess of different things to the rice while it cooks to make a one-pot dish, steam things, etc. etc. Even in my full kitchen, I find myself using it for a lot of things.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

A microwave with grill and fan oven capability adds great versatility for little extra cost, and almost no extra space.

"Combination" use may be quicker for baked potatoes or frozen pizza, but its the ability to have a 'normal' fan oven and a 'normal' grill (in the space of the microwave) that is the real benefit.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

When I went to college we were prohibited from using any electric appliances in our dorm rooms (which was built in the 1800's). Everyone was allowed a hot pot (good to boil water for tea, make ramen or Kraft mac+cheez) and one mini-fridge per room. Some rebels kept a toaster oven hidden away in their dresser, since the rule was the school could not open your cabinets to search for illegal appliances. I guess it's different if you have a shared kitchen area since the fire hazard is diminished.

I think your idea of a set of good sturdy containers with lids which can be used to store in fridge and reheat in microwave (and eat out of) would be helpful. A manual can opener. A small ladle in addition to the other basic kitchen tools. Freezer tape+marker...if the refrigerator is shared, your son will want to mark his property!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I agree with BeeZee, as far as electrical appliances go, you'd be better off checking with the college first. My dorm was build in the mid-60's and nothing other than a hot pot and a mini-fridge were allowed in the individual dorm rooms. And to be honest, the hot pot was actually quite versatile. You might also think about a crock pot, too. He could make up enough meals that he could simply reheat for the rest of the week.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

When I lived in a dorm, which was only a couple years ago (I'm 22), I did not know a single (!) person, including myself, that cooked anything other than microwavable food. I respectfully think you're wasting your time and money setting your son up beyond a microwave. And cooking is my passion and profession, so the "oh but he just loves to cook!" thing won't really do much for me. It's just not going to happen. :)

BKLYN, I agree, there's no need for anything elaborate. If he WERE struck by dreams of culinary greatness, he could deal with that later...what's needed is the bare minimum.

All students at this dorm get two hot meals daily during the week, and use the main kitchen and equipment to cook weekend meals if they aren't on campus (a long bus or bike-ride away), or don't buy a bento boxed meal (frozen dinners are rare in Japan, so bento is the easiest option).

So the point about deep tray/basket is useful, the dorm kitchen would be a long trek from some rooms.

In Japan, judging from past students' comments, self-catering is most likely to be bread or one-pot noodles, with other meals (even curry and rice) quite a big step up from that!

As for cooking equipment, I'm sure we will get guidelines, but probably students do have some way to heat food and drinks in their rooms - especially as there are no communal kitchens they can use during the week, just the main kitchen (available at weekends when the cook is off duty). Students also provide their own heaters, heated tables etc.

When I lived in a dorm, which was only a couple years ago (I'm 22), I did not know a single (!) person, including myself, that cooked anything other than microwavable food. I respectfully think you're wasting your time and money setting your son up beyond a microwave. And cooking is my passion and profession, so the "oh but he just loves to cook!" thing won't really do much for me. It's just not going to happen. :)

Some of my fondest memories of dorm life involve cooking in the hall kitchen with my roommate & suitemates. We'd fry chicken in crumbs of whatever was on hand (purloined crackers, leftover potato chips, really stale bread), steam artichokes, and cook whatever stuff people brought from home (one memorable feast included several pounds of crab claws). Of course, we made boxed mac-n-cheese (with real butter & cream) and other simple things, too. I have vivid memories of a multi-layer birthday cake with icing flowers, made for a classmate.

At the end of last semester, I was the guest speaker at a dorm dinner--the students made everything from pumpkin cream soup to lasagne to pecan pie to hummus. We talked about local farmers' markets, local food, and their own food traditions.

But previous posters are correct: most electric appliances aren't allowed in individual rooms. Generally, modern dorms include some kind of kitchen facility on each floor, with a stove, oven, microwave, and sink (though not a fridge). Have your son find out the rules before you spend any cash. (He might be allowed to keep his appliances in the hall kitchen rather than in his room.)

I'm currently going through this as well, as son heads off to college next year. here is a list from one of the residences of things to bring and things not allowed

Things to Bring

Bed linens (suitable for a double-width, queen-length bed)

• Blankets, comforter, pillows

• Towels – bath, face, dish, etc.

• Small furniture items (bookshelf, small dresser)

• Laundry soap & fabric softener/dryer sheets

• Toilet paper

• Shower curtain

• Personal hygiene items

• Coffee maker

• Kettle

• Iron – with board

• Books, pens, pencils, ruler, stapler, 3-hole punch, tape, etc…

**Hot plates and open heat sources are not permitted.

Only CSA approved electrical appliances with automatic shut off feature are allowed in the Residence (such as kettles, toaster ovens, irons…). Only refrigerators and freezers provided by the Residence will be allowed in the suites.

Each residence suite contains

EACH BEDROOM

• DOUBLE BED

• DESK & WORK AREA WITH CHAIR & LAMP

• CABLE TELEVISION

• INTERNET ACCESS

• FREE LOCAL CALLS & VOICEMAIL

(BRING YOUR OWN PHONE)

• DRESSER

• CLOSET SPACE WITH RACK

EACH KITCHENETTE

• MICROWAVE

• FULL SIZE REFRIGERATOR

• KITCHEN TABLE AND CHAIRS

• PREPERATION AREA COMPLETE WITH SINK

AND STORAGE AREA

EACH BATHROOM

• STAND-UP SHOWER

• TOILET

• SINK

The residence facility also supplies a common kitchen area and bbqs

Residence offers a kitchen lounge area with three full sized stoves. The kitchen lounge, located on the main floor nearby the Lobby, is also a great spot for students to hang out with a flat-screen television, pool table, tables and couches.

Students are encouraged to prepare their food in the kitchen area and enjoy it in the lounge area provided.

The patio, adjacent to the kitchen lounge, offers two gas BBQs and picnic tables

This is pretty standard across the board from each of the colleges he's applied to.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 7 months later...

Many dorms today don't allow hot pads or microwaves in the room, but most allow rice cookers. This is a book that teaches college kids how to cook in a rice cooker essentially using it like a hot pad with the lid open. It's about $10 in the US.

http://www.amazon.ca/Cooking-Cookers-Todays-College-Students/dp/1413782167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282239780&sr=8-1

At the risk of being annoyingly repetitive, this Presto Kitchen Kettle/Multi-cooker can do pretty much anything and is dirt cheap. It can deep fry, steam, boil, poach, slow cook and sous vide. In a pinch I bet it could saute or even work (sort of) as an oven.

If challenged, most people could be convinced that it's a rice cooker (it might be able to do that as well). Or, in a box with the temperature control/cord stowed away out of sight, it just looks like a pot.

Having also just graduated, I'll throw in my two cents-

Folks are definitely correct on the ban on heat-producing devices. My school was particularly strict and toasters/cookers/hot water heaters were not allowed (along with those multi-headed/Medusa lamps).

As someone who absolutely loves to cook, Pyrex everything made up my cooking stash. I didn't have a stove or oven in my freshman dorm, just a microwave, so my 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup was a godsend...you can make soup, mac & cheese, oatmeal, and other late-night staples in it, and of course, it measures. I'm a tea drinker so that's how I got my brewing water, too. I also had a square Pyrex pan which was good for making fudge and simple cakes. These collapsible bowls were also convenient and didn't take up much space. Tupperware and other food storage (aluminum foil, good sandwich bags) are also very useful.

I'd be surprised, though, if the school doesn't have some sort of meal plan requirement. Ours did, so I instead focused on being creative with what was in the dining hall--making my own panini, dressing up salad bar creations, etc. Dining hall food can be awful, but most universities today have some elements that you can dress up into something less repetitive. Be warned--this skill is quite in demand.

Best of luck to all the new college students!

How funny, son1 just went back to his dorm for the rest of the summer vacation (too busy to stay home...)and I was just getting ready to read the latest posts in this topic when I was interrupted by a phone call from him...made spaghetti with beansprouts and mentaiko (spicy salted cod roe) for lunch, and what should he make for dinner with the remaining roe from the pair he bought??

The answer was: chazuke (rice with roe and shredded green veg on top, doused in green tea).

His "unexpected" need was for really airtight containers to store sugar/salt/flour...he only needs to cook weekends and vacations, so he needed containers that would keep basic supplies fresh as he slowly uses them up.

The dorm's only rule on appliances is that you mustn't trip the breaker for your floor! That makes the multi-purpose kettle/noodle pot look like an attractive option, as more ambitious efforts can be made in the main kitchen.

Selling snacks...son1 complains that he ends up feeding hungry ramblers attracted by cooking smells, but I don't think he's thought of selling his dinner!