• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Soups

Six-pack-to-go

It is getting to be that time again up north here. The leaves have all turned color and most have fallen from the trees. The storm windows are all down and the thermostat is slowly rising to cut the chill of winter’s upcoming onslaught. People everywhere are having their first sniffle.

Let's not argue about authenticity, let's celebrate what is available to us to create the most varied and prized liqueur that transcends all cultures and peoples all over the world. The one sure-fire remedy that may or may not kill the cold but most definitely relieves the symptoms. What is your favorite recipe for chicken soup to help you cope with winter's chill (or summers heat depending on where you are?)

Mine is a Mexican style lime soup that starts with homemade stock and contains generous amounts of shredded chicken, onions, celery and chilies. As well as a heaping amount of cumin and ancho chile powder. In addition, on the side, a handful of fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice to customize to the individuals liking. If this soup does not clear up your nostrils nothing, will!

I like mine loaded with veggies maybe you prefer jus two big matzo balls or some wontons. Do you prefer the traditional that grandma made or an exotic Thai Tom Kha Gai? I wanna know your favorite recipes for chicken soup. Have any good stories related to chicken soup? Share whatever you got related to all things chicken soup!

Edited by Six-pack-to-go (log)
Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

I often buy those rotisserie chickens in the markets. By myself now, and I can get several quick and easy meals from one.

And then, with the carcass, make soup.

First favorite: tortilla soup, to which I add a nice squeeze of lime.

Second favorite: Avgolemono, the famous chicken/lemon soup of Greece.

Interesting - both soups have a healthy dollop of citrus.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mine is a Mexican style lime soup...

I would agree with the Sopa de Lima.

The recipe I use is near the top of this thread:

click for Sopa de Lima (and more hot soup action)

I also love Tom Kha Gai, but my wife has a sensitivity to coconut so I only have it when we go out for Thai...not often enough.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mine is a Mexican style lime soup that starts with homemade stock and contains generous amounts of shredded chicken, onions, celery and chilies.  As well as a heaping amount of cumin and ancho chile powder.  In addition, on the side, a handful of fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice to customize to the individuals liking.  If this soup does not clear up your nostrils nothing, will! 

mmmmm. i often see something like this with rice in it as well. oh man, one of my favorites!

Lime (or other citrus) is wonderful in any style of chicken soup. I'll often use a bit, perhaps just some zest, even in a chicken consomme.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have yet to try to make Avgolemono.  It is one on my list list of soups to try and make.  Any difficulties you may have had to eliminate or any fine tuning you can suggest?

Not really - I will say that in this case, as in most of my cooking, I start off with the most difficult and complicated version I can find. And then, once I get the hang of that and know what it's supposed to taste like, I begin to shorten and simplify until I get to something that I can and will make often.

This soup is so good that all you have to do is to get the main flavoring ingredients right, and even less than world-class-restaurant-kitchen efforts still turn out flavorful and rich.

Of course, this, like most soups, ratchets up in quality directly as related to the quality of the chicken broth upon which you base the final product.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

i often see something like this with rice in it as well.  oh man, one of my favorites!

If you saw mine you would see it with rice also. Jus forgot to add it to the thread. Oh forgot about the oregano too! It's hard to pull these things from memory sometimes! Anyone have any memorable exoctic chicken soups or chicken based soup? I am big fan of cream of chicken but have never tried to make it at home. I also have a fondness for escarole soup and Italian wedding soup. Anyone have any recipes for either?

Edited by Six-pack-to-go (log)

My mother's chicken soup was more Asian...

Cook chicken (whole chicken or dark meat parts) in water with star anise, ginger, onion, a bit of fish sauce, a couple of hot peppers (whole).

Once you have a nice broth, remove chicken from bones. Add whacked up bok choi and those bean thread noodles (I cut them into manageable lengths), and finish with a bit of sesame oil.

I serve with a bowl of nam pla and slivered prik e noo peppers and lime wedges.

I tend to make a huge batch and freeze some without the noodles and bok choi, adding those when I'm ready for the batch from the freezer.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Oh my snowangel that sounds awesome! I got a whole bottle of fish sauce the other day and am looking for ways to use it and this sounds like a definite must. Have you ever tried to make it yourself? Any last minute additions or instuctions on it? I love the fact that food/cooking can be an heirloom to be passed from generation to generation.

I make this one all of the time, and my kids have come to love this version a lot more than the traditional chicken soup served in MN (chicken, broth, carrots, egg noodles).

The only thing I really prefer is to use dark meat -- I think bones and dark meat provide more flavor, and dark meat is, in the opinion of our family, has better texture. My mom and dad eat a lot of boneless chicken breasts, so I tend to get whole chickens, remove the breast meat for them, and keep the good stuff for us! Makes everyone happy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Endlessly fascinating topic. Great thread.

It seems to me that just about every country (except perhaps for Arctic) has some traditional, national chicken soup/stew for which they are famous.

Coq au Vin comes to mind for France, and the African chicken stews and soups that we make with peanut butter are so very flavorful and delicious.

In the Philippines, Chicken Adobo, with its tangy vinegar- and ginger-based broth is marvelous, and a favorite in my house.

Yum. Chicken soup.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

It seems to me that just about every country (except perhaps for Arctic) has some traditional, national chicken soup/stew for which they are famous.

Hence the thread topic description!! Yes, chicken soup is a worldwide phenomenon. I love to try other peoples takes on it. Tell me more about this African Chicken stew with Peanut butter. I think I have heard something about these containing chickpeas. Is this the one you refer to? Got a more complete description of what it contains?

Anyone knows of any northern African or Middle Eastern chicken soups/stews. How about Indian? Russian or eastern European? This may sound dopey but I do really find chicken soups world wide fascinating. It seems to be the one food all civilizations have in common.

Tell me more about this African Chicken stew with Peanut butter.  I think I have heard something about these containing chickpeas.  Is this the one you refer to?  Got a more complete description of what it contains?

I think I should change my signature line to read, "Now I am no expert on this, but..."

Regarding African chicken soups/stews...

Now, I am no expert on this, but, my father traveled to and lived briefly in several African locales when I was young. And he made quite a few different types of African chicken dishes.

So I can just tell you what he said and did.

In Africa, peanuts are usually called "groundnuts" and they cook with them a great deal. In Africa, they often make their own homemade peanut butter (start by roasting peanuts), and use it in their cooking.

Again, my Dad made several kinds of chicken from various locales in Africa - Tangine (the famous chicken/olive/ginger dish from Morroco), etc., but one that I often prepare begins by browning a cut-up fryer in peanut oil, along with two onions, quartered, and two cloves garlic, smashed and chopped. Because I like whole cloves of garlic, sometimes I just peel them and drop in a handful of the whole cloves.

After the chicken is nicely browned, add a little water, just to cover, and some chopped fresh tomatoes. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through.

Then, take a can of tomato paste and a cup of chunky peanut butter ("natural" peanut butter is best, if you don't make your own) and put them in a bowl. Keep adding broth from the soup to the bowl and beating until tomato paste and peanut butter are smooth, and add them to the stewpot.

Correct seasonings - I always add some kind of pungent chile or pepper to this - either those little red dried peppers you get at Asian markets, or ceyenne or something - and salt of course - and some ground black pepper. Also, I usually add a pinch or two of curry powder. Not too much - just enough to kick up the flavors a notch.

Allow to simmer for a bit until the soup is heated through and the flavors are nicely melded, but don't cook too long or allow to boil or the tomato paste can become bitter.

These soups and stews and other chicken-groundnut/peanut dishes are very common and typical of Africa. Mine is quite basic. I'm sure if you did any kind of a search, you could find literally hundreds of similar recipes from the African subcontinent that you can experiment with in order to develop a superior, more complex dish than this one.

The Sengalese make a good chicken soup that can be served either hot or cold. It's creamy - made with milk - and enhanced with lemon juice and curry and garnished with toasted coconut. (I'd give you my quicky version, but it includes the words, "can of Cream of Chicken Soup and a blender," so you can see why I am totally unable to post it here). :laugh:

EDIT: I would go ahead and risk the derision but, with the new policy, after I thought better of the mention, I would be incapable of returning and deleting it, and therefore my name would be inextricably linked forever with the words, "can of Cream of Chicken Soup."

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I like basic peasant style stews, it does not need layer upon layer of flavor to make it good. I will try it. I had a similar recipe that involved chickpeas that turned out pretty good.

If you do not mind, PM me the recipe on that Senegalese chicken soup. I do not mind using such forbidden ingredients in a pinch. However, I will never say the words. Too dangerous in these politically delicate food threads...

You never know when the Foodieban is watching...

If you do not mind, PM me the recipe on that Senegalese chicken soup.

Done. :cool:

Hope Suvir stops by and elaborates a little on the delicious soups of India.

And also, Mulligatawny and Country Captain.

Although I feel pretty sure that both of these two latter famous chicken soup/stews can be traced more closely to Brits having gone "out" (as they say), rather than to native Indian cooks/chefs.

Although I feel pretty sure that both of these two latter famous chicken soup/stews can be traced more closely to Brits having gone "out" (as they say), rather than to native Indian cooks/chefs.

But Country Captain is not soup. :shock:

Nathalie Dupree has a nice recipe for Country Captain in a few of her books. Later tonight I will take time and get you the names of the exact ones... Or first thing tomorrow.

As for Chicken soup from India.... Well I will see what recipe I can share... I am headed to the NY Public Library.. and have little time now... But will certainly add what I can.

Thanks Jaymes for paging me and thinking of me. :smile:

By the way... Malaga Tanni has little if anything to do with what we eat in Indian restaurants today.

The original was more of a spicy peppery liquid... more like a broth or consomme. No cream and not even any chicken. :shock:

But I shall explain that in more detail if someone wants to know more... Otherwise, a traditional Malaga Tanni (Mulligatawny) would be nothing like what we are used to being served.

But Country Captain is not soup. :shock:

Is Country Captain not a thick, Anglo-Indian curry-like chicken stew traditionally served over rice or sometimes noodles???

:unsure:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

By the way... Malaga Tanni has little if anything to do with what we eat in Indian restaurants today.

The original was more of a spicy peppery liquid... more like a broth or consomme.  No cream and not even any chicken. :shock:

But I shall explain that in more detail if someone wants to know more... Otherwise, a traditional Malaga Tanni (Mulligatawny) would be nothing like what we are used to being served.

Thus the name pepper water, eh?

Actually, my wife had wanted me to try to obtain a recipe similar to what is traditionally served in Indian restaurants in the US. I was quite surprised at the diversity of recipes out there, in particular the fact that not very many seemed to be what we knew as Muligatawny from our restaurant experiences.

Country Captain, isn't that a type of sweet/savory curry?

I've never associated that w/ a high liquid content dish such as soup.

Please clarify.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Country Captain, isn't that a type of sweet/savory curry?

I've never associated that w/ a high liquid content dish such as soup.

Please clarify.

I will certainly acquiesce to Suvir's vastly superior knowledge of Indian cuisine, including so-called "Anglo-Indian" dishes, when he returns.

But, that said, I have prepared Country Captain for years. In the version I was originally given, and that I prepare (and frankly, in all of the versions I have seen), it is a thick chicken stew, usually prepared with raisins and almonds, flavored with curry, and traditionally served over rice. Although sometimes, I served it over noodles in my house because one of my children was not fond of rice.

For some reason, I associate this dish with the U.S. South. Most of the cooks that I know prepare it often are Southern, including the one who first gave me my recipe.

Edit: Sometimes if, at the last minute, I discovered I was out of both rice and noodles, I'd serve it over toast, or even biscuits. My recipe was way too moist to just put on a plate with nothing to sop up the juices -- although I suppose I could have cooked it more to have evaporated all of the juices, but I don't think it would be as good. I did, from time to time, serve it without a starch, in which case, I did serve it in a bowl of some kind.

Additional Edit: It is true that your thread was about Chicken soups and in my mind, I expanded that to include stews as well. Perhaps I should not have done that.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Ah, a big steaming bowl of posole!!! Much like the soup in the original post with which 6-pack started this thread, but with chicken chunks (on the bone) and hominy as well. Sometimes, a mix of chicken and pork ("country ribs" are a great cut to use). I was just thinking of making some ...

[it is true that your thread was about Chicken soups and in my mind, I expanded that to include stews as well.  Perhaps I should not have done that.

Hey, I jus put the topics out there and hope people will pick it up and run with it! Digressions happen.