• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBCW- "Best Belgian Chocolate of the World"

xxchef

My sister just returned from a trip to Belgium and brought me back sample boxes from two of what are being promoted as the ten best artisan chocolatiers in the country.

Having just finished a particularly grueling holiday candy making season here I wasn't sure I would be able to enjoy someone else's chocolates but I was pleasantly surprised by the assortments. Each was clearly made from the highest quality ingredients and with quite a bit of skill. While all were obviously the products of semi-automated chocolate operations (large volume molding and enrobing work was evident), they were, for the most part excellent.

Each of the chocolatiers was a member of BBCW, which I had never heard of before so I checked out their web site: http://www.bbcw.be/members.php . It has brief write-up on each of their members and each of them has a short video about their operations (to see the whole string of videos at once use this link: http://www.bbcw.be/content.php?id=89 ). It's about 41 minutes long and there are English subtitles if you dont speak Dutch or French and the videos are really quite good, with each chocolatier showing how they make one of their specialties. OK, watching the GIANT CHOCOLATE BABY being made at Marioca was a little creepy, but the rest were very interesting.

Check it out.

Edited by xxchef (log)

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Loved the little couches.

Interesting that the baby seems to have been molded in silicone. They must have started with a doll and made a silicone cast, then put it in a plaster support.