• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filling a chicken cavity with lemons, etc.

JAZ

I don't know if this follows Marcella's recipe but I'm a believer.

Pricking the lemons, yes. Leaving it overnight, no. But why not? I often dry a bird out in the back bottom of the fridge before I roast it.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Actually the flavour is more noticeable the next day with the chilled leftovers.

Yes, I've noticed that as well on those few occasions when there are actually leftovers.

My friend cooks his indirectly on his enormous bbq, so there are no drippings, sadly. But there is no mistaking the scent of lemon wafting in the air or on the bird when you dig in. I must admit I've never tried it at home, I wonder if the heat source makes a difference.