• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugarless chocolate nut clusters

Mikels

I am trying to make sugarless chocolate nut clusters starting with melted baking chocolate and adding Splenda. It has turned out grainy. Am I trying to do t5he impossible? Any suggestions?

I know people that can melt baking chocolate with splenda and seem to be able to pretend they like it. But then, I firmly believe that a great deal of sugar free devotees are forced to be that way because of obesity- obesity caused by eating pure crap. In other words- quite a few people that eat sugar free are heavily taste impaired. Not you, of course, but many.

You'll only find high end sugar free couverture by mail order, and, between the high cost of the couverture, the shipping charges and massive amount you have to buy, for many, it's cost prohibitive.

With some experimentation, you should be able to create a sugar free ganache from baking chocolate. You have to really like dark chocolate, though. Incredibly dark. You also have to be willing to shell out for other sweeteners. Splenda craps out at the high quantity of sweetening required for chocolate. The only way to offset this is to combine it with other sweeteners. Sweet One ace k is good in very small amounts. Sugar alcohols are usually found at health food stores, although the healthiest sugar alcohol, erythritol, can only be found online. You're also going to need a hard fat to mimic the mellowing effect of cocoa butter, such as coconut oil or palm oil. If that wasn't enough of a hassle, you might need some emulsifier.

Peanut butter helps to mellow the intensity of the baking chocolate, although you'll still need more than just splenda to make it palatable.

• 3 weeks later...