• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

picked some nice green apples today

hac

hey guys! any suggestions or recipes for some good pies or cakes that can make use of the nice green apples i picked up today? im looking for something with a nice crunch to it and highlighting a bit of the diffrent taste of the green apples. hopefully a cake!

Desserts...just keeps getting better and fatter!

ima have a go at it in a bit, the only thing with this recipe that i dont like is the raisins (not a big fan) will find something to replace it with first =P

How about dried cranberries (Craisins) instead of raisins?? I bet that might be delicious. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ima have a go at it in a bit, the only thing with this recipe that i dont like is the raisins (not a big fan) will find something to replace it with first =P

I agree - I don't like raisins in baked stuff! I'll eat them with nuts and certain couscous dishes, but that's about it!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

the only place for raisins for me is whenever i bake my date cake recipe =P anyway i made the Torta Mele alla Panna:Apple Cream Cake and it was sooooo delicious! im an apple pie addict, and i loved the variation this offered! nice tangy crunchy apples mized with creamy but firm light cream cheesecake and the crust is also perfect! the crust could use a bit more flavor but all together its perfect! all i added was some mix dried fruits and a bit more dried peels and id recommend it to everyone! could stop picking at it after 5mins out of the oven when it was still hot, its in the fridge right now and ill go see how it taste like when cold =P served with ice cream or whipped cream this would be awesome! thanks much! ill take some pics later and post some problems and alterations too.

this pie taste good too when cold, though theres a big difference in the taste, when still hot or heated, i could really taste the apples and the cream cheese was really creamy. When it was cold or chilled, it was a sweeter and it felt more like real cream cheese, sadly though the apples were just crunchy and lost its tangy flavor. a bit too sweet when cold for my taste. funny how something so simple could really affect it. sorry i havent uploaded a pic yet, i made another one and i tried to fill all of the cream on top (last one was only 3/4 of the cream) and well..it overflowed haha! still yummy though, clean ups a b*tch!