• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi grade fish near Madison?

Gert

Have just moved here from the UK and am on a sushi grade tuna hunt. We were lucky in London to have a great Japanese market nearby that had quality sushi grade fish and am really hoping to find something similar near the Madison area if I can. I've heard about Mitsuwa and intend to check it out but was hoping for something a bit closer so that I can make sushi often. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I did try Kam Man in East Hanover and although the tuna wasn't awful, I really wasn't thrilled with the cleanliness of the fish counter.

Thanks!

There's an HMart that will be opening in the next few months in Edison, they should have decent sushi tuna.

If there are higher-end supermarkets like Whole Foods or Wegmans near you, they should also have some sushi class tuna.

Thanks for that. Edison is about 40 minutes from me so still a bit far there and back to grab some fish. I'll check out Wegmans. I do have a Whole Foods near me and the guy at the counter said he had some sushi grade tuns but would only sell me a 30 dollar piece of fish which was much more than I needed. I guess my only option is to buy something like that and freeze what I don't use.

Another thing that might be worth trying - Occasionally I'll take the frozen tuna from costco and just eat it raw. It's not the best but it's actually really not bad.

Or you can get the piece from WF and save what you don't need for something else. I mean at the prices WF charges, even a 30$ piece doesn't get you too far.

Edited by Joon (log)