• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt in the mouth Beef

SaladFingers

This is more likely due to the cooking process used rather than the cut per se.

Blade steak (yes it is steak) can acquire this texture if it is cooked sous vide or otherwise slow cooked for a long time.

Check out this article for a description of the cut and its cooking.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hi,

Top Blade is widely recognized as the second most tender cut of beef, only behind the tenderloin.

A top blade muscle is about 12" long, 5" wide and 3" thick. It has a line of tough sinew running through the length of the roast; think of the back bone of a salmon. The whole cut, top blade roast may be cross cut into top blade steaks, just like a salmon steak. The same roast may also be cut lengthwise into two tender filets; just like you would filet a salmon.

Here is a video on cutting flat irons from a top blade roast. Bovine Myology Top Blade Trim

This is an excellent cut of beef.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I will Google it regardless, but do you have any good photos of this cut? or steaks from this cut? I would have thought if a blade/shoulder steak was almost as tender as a tenderloin (fillet steak as it is called here in Australia), we would have known about it! I will have to keep my eye out at the butcher/supermarket the next time I pop my head in.

This cut is regularly sold at Kroger in this package:

Flat-Iron-Steak.jpg

It is quite tender. I like to use it for Cheese steak sandwiches and stir fries. I don't know if the meat is injected with anything, It's very juicy and tends to release a lot of liquid.