• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Virtual Farmers Market

This week the worlds first 3D interactive farmers market was launched online to capitalise on the growing trend. Is this technology going to far? does this scare anyone? Are we all headed for a life similar to the humans in Disney's WALL-E? Carted round in electric wheelchairs eyes fixed to computer screens. As we race into an era where the computer dominates business and social networking what is to come next? Will people go out for dinner or will we just plug in a taste adaptor via usb.

Am I over reacting? Should I welcome the influx of potential business suppliers may receive to keep them in business or vote with my feet, get off my arse and walk to the shop/deli/farmers market.

What do you think?

http://www.vfmuk.com/

wall-e-human-300x224.jpg

@lostinthelarder

Lost in the Larder - the life and times of an inquisitive appetite

Just dumb if you ask me. What exactly does the 3D aspect give you over a normal online shop interface? Apart from losing you a big chunk of potential customers who can't or won't use it?

It's also not a farmers market - surely the whole point of a farmers market is that it is local producers, selling direct to the customer, not a centralised operation shipping stuff all over the country.

I could just about see the point of a localised version (Although I imagine that there wouldn't be enough suppliers interested in a local ara to make it worthwhile). I could understand someone setting something like this up in second life (Not that I really understand the appeal of second life), but to invest a load of cash into this, and have your own 3-D engine etc, madness.

I love animals.

They are delicious.