• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual Sundae Toppings?

meredithla

I am cooking for a Spanish themed dinner party and for dessert we are doing an adult "Compose Your Own Sundae" bar. I'm looking for ideas for creative toppings...

Current ideas are:

Cinnamon Chile Fudge Sauce

Dulce de Leche

Almond Brittle

Spicy Candied Pecans

Reduced Balsamic Syrup

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Golden raisins hydrated with verjus, dried cherries hydrated with spices, sugar and port.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Candied Kumquats, perhaps.

Candied Quince?

Marcona Almonds with Sea Salt

What about reduced spicy red wine pear poaching liquid.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I love a drizzle of Amarula Cream Liqueur or Chambord on top of my ice cream.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

I've never gotten the "olive oil as a topping" thing. Maybe I just haven't had a good enough one? What would be good to drizzle over ice cream? I'd imagine something that's darker green and more fruity flavoured..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Great ideas, all. I'm doing a salad with blood oranges during the meal and chorizo caramel lollipops as an appetizer course. That may knock out the candied bacon and orange/clementine ideas. I'm thinking the golden raisins hydrated with verjus or dried cherries hydrated with spices, sugar and port or the reduced spicy red wine pear poaching liquid. They might hit an element I'm missing. That sort of goes along with my recent Spotted Pig mulled wine obsession! :wub:

Thanks for all the inspiration, keep it coming!