• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Post-wedding dinner

wc4572

My fiance and I are planning to have a small, informal wedding ceremony in Central Park. We're coming with around 39 total people (two of us included) and we were looking for an informal place for a post-wedding dinner. I've read some past threads on private rooms and large groups, which gave me some good ideas. She however, did not like suggestions of Chinatown (and Congee Village). We were hoping to keep things under $50 per person, which I am finding to be a difficult task seeing as how we're both from Pittsburgh and we've never investigated dinner for more than 2 in NYC. I was hoping someone here could give some ideas. I'll be happy to check websites/make phone calls to anywhere anyone thinks might be an option. Thanks in advance for the help. If I need to be more specific, please let me know.

A few last details:

June 12, 2010

She loves Italian, tapas, mexican

Thanks again

If your fiancee is at all comfortable with Chinatown, I recommend the Golden Unicorn. www.goldenunicornrestaurant.com

We've been there and have actually seen some lovely Chinese weddings there. We go to the third floor, but the other floors are probably more accustomed to groups. It really is a suitable venue for a wedding. It's a bigger building, elevator and all.

Good luck.

susan

While anything is possible in NY, your budget is tough, especially if you're planning on drinking anything. You're probably going to have to be a little creative, or find a good neighborhood spot that's willing to work with you. I have close friends who recently threw a small wedding with a tight budget, and when I looked into places for them there were such limited possibilities that they moved it to Queens so they could get more for their money. I'd echo the Chinatown suggestion and throw in BBQ if you're willing to go casual. Hill Country has great food and a private room downstairs. I think Blue Smoke does too.

Inoteca (small plate Italian) has a private room downstairs at their lower east side location (not sure how many it will hold) and might have a room at their location in the E 20s.

According to New York Magazine's website Boqueria (spanish/tapas) has a private room, but I'm not sure that's correct. Great food though, perhaps worth a phone call. 2 locations - Flatiron & Soho.

• 4 weeks later...

You can definitely do this.

My husband and I got married in Central Park as well. For our dinner, we went to a Spanish tapas place called La Nacional, located at 14th St. bet. 7th and 8th Ave (http://www.lanacionaltapas.com) We ordered paella, 3 different appetizers (as much as the table needed), sangria (again, as much as the table needed), and dessert for a price of $35. pp. We had 15 people.

Ask for the front room, which faces the street. The back room is in the kitchen area.

Good luck!

Edited by frazali (log)

I agree with everyone else. $50 per person, including wine, tax, and gratuity at 20% is going to be difficult for a group your size especially since you want something large and nice enough for your wedding dinner. Also, I assume you want a sit down dinner, correct? (Cocktail party style can mean you can squeeze more people in AND keep the cost down a tiny bit.)

Boqueria Soho has kind of a back area with booths that's a little separate from the rest of the restaurant, but it's not truly private and it's far too small for a group of nearly 40. Given what I've spent for dinner there, I also think it's also going to be out or your private range. Not sure about the Flatiron location (which isn't huge either).

Otto does parties of 12-65 according to their web site, and has a prix fixe dinner package that's $40/per person if you can dine before 8pm. Also, their beverage package is pretty reasonable (unlimited wine). A little over your budget, though. They are, however, a pretty large restaurant and should be able to accommodate you.

I would also try The Smith or Jane, both of which have reasonable party packages for their private rooms (both of which are in the lower level of the restaurant). Note that beverages will be billed separately. Probably your best bet given your group size.

http://www.ctrnyc.com/CTR/ctr_html/ctr_privateparties.html

'inoteca LES' downstairs room seats only 26 people. And the 23rd Street location sounds like it's out of your budget given that they charge $2750 (including wine but not gratuity) for a group of 30.

http://www.inotecanyc.com/liquori/catering.php

Blue Smoke would be a good choice as they can seat a large group in their semi-private balcony, but they don't do large events on Fridays or Saturdays and your wedding is on a Saturday.

Hill Country is definitely in your budget but it seems like you need to choose one of the higher priced packages to get any actual BBQ on your prix fixe menu:

http://www.hillcountryny.com/assets/file/hill_country_catering_menu_12-09.pdf

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

What about Carmine's on the UWS. It's Italian, known for its large portion sizes and a family style meal. Casual but with a big city country Italian feel.

Or what about Calle Ocho for Latin American (close to mexican) or Compass for American food. All on the UWS.

I suggest going to Open Table and looking at their list of restaurants that accommodate large sizes and looking at menus, locations and price ranges, that may help you find a restaurant.

For my money, and with all due respect (chacun a son gout, etc.), Carmine's sucks and doesn't feel like anyplace in Italy at all. It isn't good Italian-American food, either. And it's not even that cheap, especially for what it is. I wouldn't recommend it at all, especially not for a wedding reception.

Michael aka "Pan"