• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating & Walking

Hi all,

I'll be spending 3 days up north at Easter, catching up with some mates and do some walking. Exact destination has yet to be determined, but thinking about Yorkshire, but happy to consider elsewhere.

Clearly I don't want to miss an opportunity to eat well, so I was wondering If anyone could suggest great dining experiences which could coincide with some dramatic walking.

We will be without car, so places in the thick of great scenery would be ideal. (though don't mind taking the odd taxi)

I did go to Lake District last year and ate at L'enclume. Maybe there are other good options....

thanks for any views (no pun intended)

regards

Fergal

My recommendation is the opposite direction. Head for the South Coast walk. We have done a few sections, first ones were around Fowey, then the sections around Padstow (very spectacular). Our approach was to book a B&B and get the bus out to the start of the walk, then head back into town for a beer, shower and food. With Nathan Outlaw now back in Rock you have him, Margot's and No6 doing great food (and Stein if needs must) plus I am seeing good reports about Custard (although my experience was iffy).

If you need to be North why not base yourself around Helmsley, the Star is good and they now have a new pub with different menu.

My suggestion (only semi-flippantly) would be to search on Gary's posts. You've got milliards (determined to get that word back into circulation) of options in Yorkshire. Helmsley is good for the North York Moors, with Star, Pheasant and Fev Arms. Walk across the moors to the Endeavour at Staithes. Blue Lion at East Witton is wonderful and in the midst of abbeys, castles and yer actual hstory stuff. The Yorke Arms is west of Harrogate, rapidly become my favourite place in the country, beautiful walking territory, and for bird-watching. The Dev Arms in Wharfedale is very posh, and surrounded by the loveliest scenery in the world.

Yorkshire does, of course, have more michelin starred restuarants than any region outside of London.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

If you are into serious walking, why not venture even further north to Scotland? We'd highly recommend Monachyle Mhor after walking on Beinn Tulaichean - very walker friendly (Scones are cooked to order!), really excellent local food. Plenty of lower level hills like Meall An t-Seallaidh 852 metres.

http://www.monachylemhor.com/

http://www.munromagic.com

www.scottishhills.com

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

'Milliards' - a long forgotten friend! Many thanks Bertie, I'll join your campaign to rehabilitate this excellent word.

I'd also agree with the various Yorshire comments upthread, but also add that the Cleveland way from Helmsley across the North Yorks Moors, then Southwards down the coast to Filey (especially the sections through Staithes, Whitby and Robin Hood's bay) crosses great countryside. There are also some good foody-pubs en route. The Fox and Hounds at Goldsborough for example, is supposed to be impressive.